• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Sneezing Excessively

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
I’m getting worried about Pippin - she’s been sneezing a bit since we got her, but I knew a few sneezes during preening and whatnot were normal, so I didn’t think much of it.

A few minutes ago she had a huge sneezing fit - I didn’t keep track but if I had to guess I would say maybe 10-15 times? She looked like she was adjusting her crop, possibly having a hard time breathing.

I got pretty close to the cage and didn’t see any discharge anywhere, and she’s acting normal now.

I’m willing and, as far as I know, able to take her to the vet, but right now our avian vet is only making appointments for emergencies.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How is your budgie doing?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A bath might help to clear out those sinuses, too.

Sometimes, excessive nose picking can also result in a sneezing fit... since birds may not be able to pick their nose very well... or just excess dust/dry air.

Best to keep an eye on her for now and only take her in if her condition worsens. :)

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
A bath might help to clear out those sinuses, too.

Sometimes, excessive nose picking can also result in a sneezing fit... since birds may not be able to pick their nose very well... or just excess dust/dry air.

Best to keep an eye on her for now and only take her in if her condition worsens. :)
Thank you! I’ve been trying different ways to get them to bathe and so far nothing’s peaked their interest - but dry air is definitely a possibility in this room!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could try providing bathing opportunities in different ways. Here's some ideas!
  • Try luke-warm water
  • Try cold water
  • Try ice-cold water
  • Try a spray bottle
  • Try a plant mister
  • Try in the sink with the water running or just some water in the bottom
  • Try in the sink with the sprayer
  • Try in the tub with some water in the bottom
  • Try a casserole dish or similar with some water
  • Try the dish with ice
  • Try the dish with foot toys
  • Try the dish with some small rocks or pebbles
  • Try the dish with some leafy greens like endive or other types of lettuces that may create a "natural" bowl
  • Try the dish with a vacuum cleaner running
  • Try in the shower with you - watching you having a blast getting wet!
  • Try dancing the bird into the shower with the water already going
  • Try spritzing yourself, and have fun doing it! Then spritz the bird
  • Try outside in an empty cage large enough to spread wings during a nice rain shower
  • Try outside in an empty cage using the hose with a mist/shower attachment
  • Try playing videos of other birds bathing

For a budgie specifically.... I would recommend some wet leafy greens clipped to the side of the cage with a spray bottle, or a bowl with leafy greens inside it and water. Maybe even a shallow dish with ice cubes and the vacuum running?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
One point. Vomiting and sneezing can sound and look very similar especially if the vomit is swallowed (you mentioned she adjusted her crop after). If it happens again try and make a youtube vid we can look at, even the most experienced budgie owner can say what it is from the description.

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
One point. Vomiting and sneezing can sound and look very similar especially if the vomit is swallowed
Thank you for the heads up, I’ll keep an eye out and take a video if something something similar happens again.
We’ve started providing several options for bathing, and neither bird has sneezed more than once a day, so I’m betting it was either a weird one-time thing, or just excess dust.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
so I’m betting it was either a weird one-time thing, or just excess dust.
If she's a new addition to the house then it's quite possible she's found an area that is Dusty so yeah you could be right.