• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie sitting near the water bowl and continuously licking water

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
My budgie is 10 monthes old and she keeps sitting at the bottom of the cage at night while sipping water from her water bowl . During day she is active & playful. She is in her egg laying period , her vent area is a bit swollen , her tail bobs a lot ,she easily gets heated up and spreads her wings away from her body. Is it a possible sign of egg binding or is something wrong with her kidneys?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
What should I do , there are no exotic avian vets here? I am really worried

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are there other things to do in the cage? I'm not sure what health issue might cause this (not a vet), but since you don't have access to a vet, how about trying to see if the root cause could be behavioural? I do not suggest anything drastic, because if it is physical that could stress them & put them over the edge, but maybe adding a new toy or two would help.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Why do you have your budgies water bowl on the bottom of the cage? Have you considered relocating the bowl and if that resolves this behavior?

As far as the heat, what temp is her enclosure kept? Are you providing regular bathing opportunities?

Regarding the hormonal behavior, are you doing anything to encourage this, even inadvertently? Stroking areas aside from head/neck, giving her nest or nesting materials? Too much daylight? A hut/tent? Warm soft food?

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Are there other things to do in the cage? I'm not sure what health issue might cause this (not a vet), but since you don't have access to a vet, how about trying to see if the root cause could be behavioural? I do not suggest anything drastic, because if it is physical that could stress them & put them over the edge, but maybe adding a new toy or two would help.
She is out of the cage throughout the day and only returns to it as the sunsets . The room she flies in has plenty of toys , as her cage is small I have only kept a swing in it . I have already ordered for a big cage but it might take time . I surely introduce new toys in her new cage. Thanks

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Why do you have your budgies water bowl on the bottom of the cage? Have you considered relocating the bowl and if that resolves this behavior?

As far as the heat, what temp is her enclosure kept? Are you providing regular bathing opportunities?

Regarding the hormonal behavior, are you doing anything to encourage this, even inadvertently? Stroking areas aside from head/neck, giving her nest or nesting materials? Too much daylight? A hut/tent? Warm soft food?
It's not on the bottom of the cage but at low height from the floor . The cage actually has a fixed place made for the food and water bowls . But I'll relocate the bowls as soon as the new cage gets delivered.

The temperature is mostly 25°C . I always keep a bowl of water with grass in it so that she is encouraged to take a bath but sometimes she does bath & sometimes doesn't , depending on her mood.

She actually has a partner . And I do feed her a mixture of boiled rice, crushed boiled egg and some chopped veggies . But it's only offered once or twice a week .

Am I doing something wrong ? Please let me know , your suggestions would be welcomed

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Food and water bowels should not be on or near the bottom of the cage. It's unhygienic as that is where their droppings fall. And birds prefer to be up higher anyway as it's perceived as a safer location.

Is there any lighting in the cage that may be putting off heat? Do you have air flow around the cage (not directly blowing on them)? As we all know, heat rises so she may be sticking to the bottom of the cage agr where it's cooler.

Again you want to avoid triggering her hormones. No nests, tents or dark private areas she can access. No warm food served. No cuddling, no petting anywhere bit their head and neck area.

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
I have kept a separate room for my budgies where they fly , play and sleep and I rarely switch on lights there . I prefer that they may get natural light so that I donot disturb their sleep cycles .

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
I have kept a separate room for my budgies where they fly , play and sleep and I rarely switch on lights there . I prefer that they may get natural light so that I donot disturb their sleep cycles .
My question was more in regards to the heat, not the lighting.

Is the cage in front of a window that receives direct sunlight?

Do they have sufficient air flow?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have a perch in the cage or just the swing you mentioned?

Any chance of a picture of your cage set up and the area it’s in?

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
My question was more in regards to the heat, not the lighting.

Is the cage in front of a window that receives direct sunlight?

Do they have sufficient air flow?
Ohok.
The cage isn't kept infront of a window but the room does receive enough sunlight to sometimes rising up the temperature but that's only during the day . I actually belong to a colder region & the temperature drops at night to sometimes being cool and sometimes being moderate . So I cover the cage with a blanket keeping a few inches gap for air flow.

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Do you have a perch in the cage or just the swing you mentioned?

Any chance of a picture of your cage set up and the area it’s in?
It does have a perch .

I will surely upload the image later as it's night time here and she's sleeping .