• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie Seizure and Twitches

m3b3

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I currently own two budgies: Benji and El. Benji is a rescue and I was never able to get him completely comfortable with me/hand trained. Yesterday I heard a flapping commotion in their cage and found him on the ground in an odd position. I was able to help him upright but he stayed looking cockeyed. Since then he had had a continual neck/head twitch. I laid a couple of towels at the bottom of the cage for cushion, and unfortunately he has fallen a few times since then as it seems very hard for him to balance whatsoever. He has been eating still (I keep them on a diet of nupreem fruit flavored pellets with dried greens and seeds only as a supplement/treat. They'll eat fresh fruit/veggies once and a while and they don't use cuttleboans so I try giving them egg here and there. Fresh water daily). El definitely seems concerned and had kept a close watch.
I get paid this Thursday and have already called a couple different emergency vet offices, but I'm very worried for my little buddy in the meantime. Has anyone ever experienced this with their birds before and have a possible solution?
I tried to attach a video but wasn't able to do i tried taking a couple of pictures to show his twitch.

I'd be really grateful for any info/help, I just gotta get him through the week!

Attachments

m3b3

Hello,

I own two budgies: Benji and El. Yesterday my male, Benji, fell off his perch and I found him in a very cockeyed position. I was able to get him upright but since then he had developed a head/neck twitch that is quite worrisome. He has unfortunately fallen a few times since then and is having a lot of difficulty balancing. He has still been eating (I keep them on a diet of NuPreem fruit pellets and dried greens with seeds as a supplement/treat. They don't use their cuttlebones so I do try to give them egg here and there).
I have lined the bottom of the cage with towels to cushion any falls. I also made some calls to emergency vet clinics near me and plan on taking him in when I get paid at the end of the week. However until then I'm pretty worried about him and wonder if anybody has experienced this with their birds before and have some tips. El is very concerned for her cagemate!

I wasn't able to get any videos to attach but did add some pictures. They aren't the best but I was trying to catch a shot of his head turning upside-down.

I appreciate any and all help to get me through to the end of the week. Even on transportation-he's a rescue and I was never able to get him finger trained. His past trauma makes him very difficult to handle and I'm worried he might hurt himself more on the trip to the vet...

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I get paid this Thursday and have already called a couple different emergency vet offices, but I'm very worried for my little buddy in the meantime.
. I also made some calls to emergency vet clinics near me and plan on taking him in when I get paid at the end of the week.
Is there anyone in your life who could lend you the money until then? A friend or family member maybe?
Maybe ask the vet is there are any plans/schemes?

m3b3

Is there anyone in your life who could lend you the money until then? A friend or family member maybe?
Maybe ask the vet is there are any plans/schemes?
Unfortunately the people I could ask don't get paid until after I do-i might be able to come up with a payment plan depending on the vets office but I've gotta work that out still... I was hoping in the meantime somebody might recognize the symptoms.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is a potential for his condition to get worse when the nervous system is involved. Please find a way to get him to a vet.

m3b3

NOTE: I have made it clear that as soon as I can get to a vet, I will. Please don't respond to the thread if it's not a response to the question: what can I do to help my bird in the meantime. If you have any helpful advice, type away. Otherwise, click away.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
To attach a video you will need to link it from another site like YouTube, FB etc.

I don’t really think there is much more than what you’ve already done that can help your bird with the symptoms you’ve described without veterinary expertise.

When a bird is doing the things you’ve mentioned yours is doing they are generally already so unwell that the only way one is really able to help is with tests and prescription medications and unfortunately often even they are not enough.

Your bird sounds like it needs more than just at home supportive care. Keeping the bird warm, stress free in a padded cage with lowered perches is about the best advice we can offer you.

Can you get some at home care advice from the AV you have the appointment with? Will they offer a payment plan for emergencies?

No one is trying to be rude or upset you- they are just politely saying what I’ve said just now..... we probably can’t do much more than inform you of what you already know- your bird needs qualified medical care ASAP, I’m sorry.