• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie scretching his vent area

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
It looks pretty irritated and maybe some dried droppings..?

Have you cleaned it? Maybe try dabbing (not rubbing) with a warm wet cloth to clean it up a bit.

The droppings on the clear plastic or glass - is there blood? It seems to have a bit of a pink tinge, but may be diet or just the photo.

Do the droppings look normal?

Hopefully someone here can offer some advice.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Something is clearly bothering him. He should see an avian vet.
*edit* poop pic popped up.
Looks very dry (borderline constipation). Try and encourage him to drink more, bathe more, eat more veggies or fruit. This dryness could be the source of his discomfort.

Last edited:

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Great your were able to get him an appointment!

Hope he gets better soon! Do keep us posted!
He got really scared when i put him in the travel bag. He was a stray that i adopted 5 months ago from humane society. It is not until really recently that he started to eat from my hand. I am a bit concerned that he will be freaking out if i put him in a carrier and take him away. Should I take his friend kiki as well?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Should I take his friend kiki as well?
If Kiwi is bonded to him I would bring them together. It is good emotional support. I always bring my finches together. If it is a microb there is also a good chance Kiwi picked it up by now.

Dont worry about the bonding progress. Health is important and you can start again.

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
I recently took my two new birds to the vet for a wellness exam, bloodwork, and DNA testing. I had to towel them and place in the travel carrier too.

I wasn't happy about it, but it was necessary. Hopefully next year for their visit they'll be tame enough to step up and into the carrier.

But as fashionfobe said above, their health is number one priority right now.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Now that he is addicted to treat, i can put some treat inside and lure him in. I will try not to grab him. I heard terrible story about budgie having a heart attack.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
I took my budgie to the vet. But they cant find any issue with him. They said it could be something that we used at home, or a new diet. But we havent really changed anything. So they prescribed bird probiotic to him. I have fed him 2 times so far. His poop does become smaller. But still fluff, and sleeping a lot. Taking him to another vet soon.

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Sorry you really didn't really get a solid answer.

Glad you're sticking with your gut and seeing another vet.

Hope you can figure out how to make him more comfortable soon!

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Right now i am offering him a heating pad(the k&h bird heater) to stand on. He really likes it. He stands on top of it at night to stay warm. He is sleeping on top.of the cage. I know eventually i need to train him.to stay in the cage for sleeping but right now i dont want to stress him out. Luckily he choose a platform to sleep instead of the window perch.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Sorry you really didn't really get a solid answer.

Glad you're sticking with your gut and seeing another vet.

Hope you can figure out how to make him more comfortable soon!
The better one that i wanted to go did not have a spot so we took him to another one, they treat exotic as well. They were able to squeeze us in. But will never go again unless emergency. They took his poop for examination as well.