• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie scared to come out of cage after crash

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hey everyone

Last week we finally made the big move, the budgies were handling it as good as you would expect. Scared, but not too scared to the point of concern.

Raiju had been crashing into the same wall over and over again. These were small bonks, he would always get right back up and keep going without a care in the world. I ended up covering that wall, and he was fine for the next day. Well, two days ago, Raiju crashed into the opposite wall, pretty hard. He flew right to the cage, sat on a perch and was opening his beak over and over. He looked like he was in a lot of pain, so I took him to the ER immediately. They said he was perfectly fine, nothing was broken and there was no swelling or bruising. His beak looked slightly nicked, but there was no bleeding and the vet is confident it will be fine and I am just to monitor him for other symptoms.

He bounced right back after coming home, back to playing with toys and being loud, but now he's too scared to come out of his cage :( He will sit in the doorway of the cage going in and out like he wants to really bad but he is just too scared to now.

Is there anyway I can help him? I feel so bad. I'm not sure what was making him crash into the walls, the room is plenty big and there's lots of places to land, and these didn't seem to be panic flights.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Maybe you could do a little flight recall around the room and show him around if he steps up. I think he will get comfortable, just takes time. My tiel would crash into walls until he figured out how to reach the curtain rods and door trim.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Maybe you could do a little flight recall around the room and show him around if he steps up. I think he will get comfortable, just takes time. My tiel would crash into walls until he figured out how to reach the curtain rods and door trim.
The first day we moved in all they would let me do was show them around, lol. They were both pulling my fingers leaning the way they wanted to go, refusing to fly for about an hour :lol:

He's doing better today, he'll come out onto the table to play but still avoids flying around the room if he can. I hope he gets over his fears soon. Thanks for the advice :D