• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Scare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I had the WORST scare I think I've ever had yesterday.
I was setting the birds up with their fresh mash (which didn't turn out as good this time, its more like a muck, and only Ella was brave enough to take a few nibbles :o:) and Baby Budgie Bird got out of his cage! :omg::eek:
I was just reaching to set the dish in (crooning and being comforting of course) when the little devil jumped on my arm, slithered up, and got out at the crack before I could drop the food dish and close it! I was TERRIFIED because the bedroom he is in is ours which is large, and my pomeranian was asleep in her cage. As soon as Baby hit the ground, Fia was there in an instant, but thankfully she doesn't have a mean bone in her body, and she just barked at it. But it scared Baby enough where he flapped into the closet and was trying to squeeze himself in the crack of the door! I completely freaked and panicked, his neck was at a wierd angle and he kept trying to push himself further, which moved the door (its a walk-in closet) and I thought it was going to crush him! I was absolutely bawling as I threw Fia in the cage, secured the door, and was trying to get him out of that crevice. I thought for sure he was going to die and knew for certain I am the WORST budgie owner ever.

After a few heart-wrenching moments, I was able to free him, towel him, and get him back in his cage. I was so shaken that I actually needed to sit down and focus on my breathing, I was basically in the middle of a panic attack which NEVER happens to me unless I get a serious kick of adrenaline going. I checked on him a few hours later and I don't see any wounds, and he seemed fine. He had eaten a little bit of the fresh veggie muck (bless his little heart) and was chirping and chattering.

I have a feeling this experience has effectively squashed any ideas I had about Baby being a tame bird :( I'm sure he is very traumatized, but I'm just so glad he's alive and ok. It was a good reminder to myself that even if I'm not planning on taking the birds out, if I'm opening their cage, the room needs to be free of all animals. Archie and Ella may get along with Fia (Ella actually chases Fia around and thinks its a game), but its just not a safe situation and shouldn't be risked.

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
Oh, I am so sorry! My little sister's Budgie is not tame, or wing clipped. It is bad news when she gets out of her cage. One day, she got out and flew straight into a window! I thought she was dead, but thank goodness, she was fine :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little one,Im glad that hes ok.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
oh my. Im glad the baby is ok...how scary for you.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I was so taken by surprise, I would never have guessed in a million years that he would actually jump on my arm and climb out! :eek: He was near the back of his cage and had just been watching me. It scared the living daylights out of me.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh my gosh, how scary for you and little budgie! I'm soo happy that everyone is safe... :) :)

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Oh how scary! I am so glad that he is okay and that Fia was se well behaved!

You arer NOT a bad budgie owner at all! Its obvious how much you care about your birds, this was a mistake that you couldn't have seen coming! Now you know and can prevent it from happening again.

Don't give up trying to tame him. Give him a few days to calm down and get used to things again, but I think you still have a chance at taming the little guy.
He sounds a lot like Cookie. She runs up my arm and out the cage whenever I open it and I can't stop her.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Hahaha, I dont mean to laugh at your close call, but I have to say, Budgies are little escape artists! When I was transerfering my guys from a travel cage to our enclosure, the oldest male (named Senior as such) squeezed between the little makeshift towel tunnel I had made between cages, and was flying about the place (about 2 feet off the ground as he was severely overweight when I got him). Because I had only just got them that week he was leary of us, but strangely gravitated to my German Shep. who is an angel and wouldnt hurt him intentionally but could in error so I was panicking and he was trashing about the place trying to get back in his old cage through the wrong side. My three year old hopped off the couch, walked over to him calmly, stuck out her arm, he landed on her, and she stuffed him in the enclosure while telling me "He's friendly mommy, dont worry". LOL
And I have many more Budgie escape stories, LOL

Little Buggers!

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
So thankful everyone and birdie is fine! Just goes to show that those little baby budgies are really fast :hug8:.

cher

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awww all is fine dear....you will possibly be able to tame him ..just give it time..I am so glad you are both ok.:hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm hoping so. I keep talking calmly as soothingly whenever I'm around her, so I'm hoping after a couple of weeks she'll go back to chirping when I enter the room. I'm just so glad she is ok :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad that he is ok!

Matt

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
oh i could tell you a cuple stories budgies are little boggers the are

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So glad in the end everything turned out ok. I agree with you and think that putting all the other animals out of the room would be a good idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.