• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie Respiratory Problems

joshuacott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua Cott
Hi Everyone,

I noticed that my budgie Blu had a blocked nostril the other day as well as audibly panting after flying, and had, still has, a bit of a tail bob, I brought him straight to the vet, unfortunately there's no avian vet near me as there's only one in the whole country here.
The vet gave him an injection of Baytril and I have to give him 0.1 of Baytril every day for a week.
I'm sure I caught the problem early as Blu has still been eating and playing and acting fairly normal, little more anxious than usual but apart from that he's been himself.
Theres also a very quiet clicking noise when he's breathing more so when he's stressed than anything I'm sure.
My other budgie and cockatiel seem healthy and happy, I have quarantined Blu while he's being treated, in a smaller cage.
I get very anxious over my babies so was just wanting to see if anyone had some tips or advice.
Do you think he'll get better?
I'm also going to do reiki on him every night.

Thanks in advance :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Baytril is what's often prescribed and should work well. You might want to look into giving him some probiotics too for awhile. I think my vet suggested for 30 days when given antibiotics. You were good to get him to a vet right away and he should be okay. :)

joshuacott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua Cott
Baytril is what's often prescribed and should work well. You might want to look into giving him some probiotics too for awhile. I think my vet suggested for 30 days when given antibiotics. You were good to get him to a vet right away and he should be okay. :)
Thank you for the reassurance, I'm sure Blu will be okay, I get so paranoid when anything is wrong with my babies. Is there any probiotic you would recommend? :)