• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie regurgitating stuff then eating it?

Seatorii

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all,

Recently my budgie about 1 and a half years old started some strange behaviour. For some context he lives with a younger cockatiel, both are hand tamed, and sometimes I bring him into the aviary to interact with more birds. He is quite active, very friendly and doesn't seem to be bored or lonely.
He started to regurgitate food onto objects, like his cage, toys or anything he can reach really. Then he eats the seeds he has regurgitated and continues to do it. A bit weird.

He doesn't seem to be more aggressive than usual, or territorial, no signs of sickness. The behaviour isn't causing any issues but it is annoying for me to clean and I don't think regurgitating that much is good for him.

Do you guys think I should be concerned? This is my first post, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

parrotman

Strolling the yard
Is he doing it towards the cockatiel?
If so it is most likely that he is regurgitating for the cockatiel

Seatorii

Checking out the neighborhood
He does it even when there are no other birds around, so I don’t think he’s regurgitating to other birds

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Regurgitating is fairly normal but I am not sure how much you are seeing so if he is excessively regurgitating it may be beneficial to have an avian vet check him out.