• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie regurgitating, fluffy, and lethargic.

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
My sweet boy Alf, 8 years old, was absolutely fine yesterday.
Today, he's been... Off...
I love him so much and have never been this close to a rescue budgie before.

He's been regurgitating a lot today, at first he was just eating it again, and he was talking to me, so I didn't worry (he got a new treat yesterday, I assumed he ate too much or was feeding his bell (yes he feeds his favourite bell))
Later I found him facing the window even though it was dark out, and even though I closed the curtains he didn't turn around like he usually would, and started regurgitating and flicking it out instead of eating it. It's also warm here at the moment, but he's all fluffed up and only moving to stretch, regurgitate, or scratch. It's too late to take him to the vet today, but I've convinced my parents to take him tomorrow morning. I know he's old for a budgie, but I can't deal with him dying this year, I just lost my cat six months ago, and my dog three weeks ago. I would do anything to help him stay around at least a month longer. If there's anything you can recommend, please do.

He doesn't like people, but he likes me, he only lets me pat him (for his pin feathers or if it's cold), and eats treats from my hand. We stare at each other and chatter, and he even started giving me kisses through the cage (on my lips!!!)

Please help I can't have him go yet

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
The big tree next door also was cut down, so all his wild friends are gone.
He would love screaming at them, but we took him outside yesterday and he tried a couple of squawks, then gave up and was silent the rest of the time.
My heart hurts for him. I put the tv on today for him and sat with him, but he just faced the other way still. I would do anything for him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
See a vet asap. Keep him warm hydrated and quiet. Call your vet and see if they have emergency vet that you can use.

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
Unfortunately the only emergency vet nearby is for dogs and cats, the avian veterinary is unfortunately not open right now. We could possibly do an emergency call in vet but there's no way my parents would pay that kinda money "for just a bird"
It took days to convince them to take the cat to the vet, and they loved that cat so much.
Thank you for your advice, I gave him a better blanket, and filled his water all the way. I even managed to get him to drink a bit off my finger (clean of course)
Honestly I'm not getting another pet until I can pay to take them to the vet every couple of months.
This is really stressing me out and I just wish I could do more. Thank you again

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
Update: We're taking him as soon as the vet opens tomorrow.
I'm setting an alarm two hours before it opens to keep an eye on him.

I'm terrified of waking up to him not... Being here, I just tried to convince my parents, went as expected. I have a stomach ache out of fear. I just want him to be okay. Every pet is worth any amount of money to me, but my retired parents don't agree. They did this to my rats too, but I can't blame them. I'm really scared. I feel like I should have done more for him. I wish I could do more.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he’ll be okay! Let us know how the vet goes.

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
I have another update!

Alf is at the vet for the day and overnight.
His doctor is very sweet and has high hopes for him, but can't promise anything.

We just got a call to update us that they've given him fluids, and he's definitely bounced back a bit, but he'll be going onto antibiotics, as it seems to be a gut infection.

The doc have us a 90% success rate, but he can't rule out the other 10%.

I'll update again tomorrow with how he's doing and hopefully a diagnosis for any future people who have the same issues as I have.

thank you for the support and advice, I would have been lost without this forum
(been using this site since I got him, I just never posted or made an account)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that everything goes well.

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
He's back home!!!

Just picked him up from the lovely vet.
He has gastrointestinal issues, so I'll be giving him ivermectin, and weighing him every twelve hours for the next 7 days. If he goes under 32g we need to take him back, but he's eating, pooping, and moving again, just a bit sleepy. (probably from being grabbed, tested and treated all night)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear that he's home! I hope he continues to improve.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so pleased to hear all went well and you have some meds to help your little one feel better.

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
Final update!

Thank you everyone for your support and advice. Alf just finished his last dose of meds, and he even weighs a whole 36g! (33g at his lowest during this whole ordeal)
I'm happy to say he's back to his old fiesty self, and I hope to have many years to come with him!
He'll be getting a new cage and bells, as we found some rust, and I never want this to happen again, so removing all contaminants! Might post another thread for critique when I finish! My lil dude has been through so much, and I'm just so proud of him!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So glad to hear he has made a good recovery and it's great you are getting him a new cage. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did the vet do a gram stain to see if there was yeast or bacteria in the crop? You might want to give the vet a call and check if the vet things a pro biotic would be good for the GI track after a course of antibiotic.

AlfieMyBab

Moving in
Real Name
Cadence
Great idea! I've been doing a chaotic amount of research, specifically on things I can do to prevent this from happening every again, and general stuff to keep him healthy and happy.

They said he had a lil bit of a couple different bacterias in his crop flush, so I'm on the look out for any information, like raspberries/raspberry cordial, and apple cider vinegar etc, but a lot of it is very overwhelming, and not very clear so I'm anxious I'll do something wrong.

I'll give them a call tomorrow to ask about it though as I think it really is a great idea! I really appreciate the advice :xflove:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies are prone to AGY which is avian gastric yeast. Its a good idea for all budgie people to know about it just in case.