• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Reconciliation?

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Last winter I had to separate my two pairs of budgies who had lived mostly peaceably for a couple of years sharing a single cage in my sun room.

In January, one pair staked out the long-ignored hanging coconut house for a nest, leading the other pair to engage in a bloody battle and sending me into a panicked redistribution of birds.

I set up my seldom used upstairs bathroom as a second bird room to exile the aggressive pair. (I broke down and gave the other pair a proper nesting box and allowed them to have one clutch, which I found a home for.)

(I also have a very long cage in said bathroom for a disabled parrotlet. The cage would not fit into my regular bird room.)

But now I am pressed for space with a new parrotlet finishing quarantine, and I would like to recombine the quartet of budgies.

There is no nesting or coconut house to incite breeding behavior, but I worry that the bad blood between the pairs will not be forgotten or that hormones may trigger another round of fighting.

I have a simple flight cage that I could use to ease the re-introduction. (Their current cage will not fit in the sun room. I am really pressed for space that is free of cats, dogs, and drafts!)

Any other advice that might smooth the way to a possible successful reunion?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
But now I am pressed for space with a new parrotlet finishing quarantine, and I would like to recombine the quartet of budgies.

There is no nesting or coconut house to incite breeding behavior, but I worry that the bad blood between the pairs will not be forgotten or that hormones may trigger another round of fighting.
You had better find some space because putting them back will never work. You're setting them up for a tragedy. It's not bad blood. It's instinct. Pairs do not share territory (anything for that matter) and one cage is "one" territory.

I'm positive there is a chair/table/chest/cabinet you can live without. Priorities.