• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie pulling out tail feathers

Maxnbonny

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey guys. New here. So I have two budgies; an American (Bonny) one and and English one (Max). Bonny was a rescue and I purchased Max so they have each other. Long story short, although they are boy and girl, I don’t think they are a “mated pair” as I’ve never seen them try to perform anything, nor were there ever any eggs.

Anyways, I’ve noticed for the past few weeks that max has been chewing his tail feathers and severely ruffling a few. I highly doubt it’s mites as I haven’t seen any other symptoms. Both birds seem completely healthy otherwise so I assumed it was more of a behavioral issue.

Anyways, long story short, last night Max (I believe), pulled off a tail pin feather And it began bleeding nonstop. I couldn’t take him to a vet as it was already past 10pm and no avian one is open so I had to act fast. I was able to remove the feather and stop the bleeding and he’s doing much better now.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else? If so, what caused it? What can fix it? Is it sexual frustration? If so, what can be done?

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Could he be bored? What foraging toys do you have available? How much time does he spend out of the cage?
@Ripshod