• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie poop help

lly00n

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Hi, so my budgie has had dirty vent on and off for almost as long as I’ve had him. It’s something I’ve always been concerned about, so I took him to two different vets and they’ve said that he was fine. One even did a fecal exam and the results came out clean. But his poop is extremely watery. Sometimes it’s only water. There are still feces, but it’s not too well formed (as well as the urates) and it always sticks to his butt. He is an English budgie, and I’ve heard that many other show budgie owners have had this issue because of their extra fluff, but it still concerns me because it’s slightly smelly. It’s only smelly on him, not from from the cage. I don’t want to let it build up so I’ve been putting him into a bowl of warm water but I can tell that that’s stressful for him. He eats primarily pellets, and occasionally gets seeds with egg food (because he’s moulting) and I give him fresh fruits and veggies regularly. I’ve been putting some ACV in his water as well. But I don’t know what to do at this point because it’s stressful for the both of us to always be trying to get the poo off his vent feathers and spending money on vets just for there to be nothing wrong. I’ve looked up a lot of situations like this, and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of help. If you know anything, please let me know!

Theobirb

Walking the driveway
Hi, so my budgie has had dirty vent on and off for almost as long as I’ve had him. It’s something I’ve always been concerned about, so I took him to two different vets and they’ve said that he was fine. One even did a fecal exam and the results came out clean. But his poop is extremely watery. Sometimes it’s only water. There are still feces, but it’s not too well formed (as well as the urates) and it always sticks to his butt. He is an English budgie, and I’ve heard that many other show budgie owners have had this issue because of their extra fluff, but it still concerns me because it’s slightly smelly. It’s only smelly on him, not from from the cage. I don’t want to let it build up so I’ve been putting him into a bowl of warm water but I can tell that that’s stressful for him. He eats primarily pellets, and occasionally gets seeds with egg food (because he’s moulting) and I give him fresh fruits and veggies regularly. I’ve been putting some ACV in his water as well. But I don’t know what to do at this point because it’s stressful for the both of us to always be trying to get the poo off his vent feathers and spending money on vets just for there to be nothing wrong. I’ve looked up a lot of situations like this, and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of help. If you know anything, please let me know!
Hi! If he has been eating a lot more hydrating foods it can cause the poop to be watery. But if you are unsure take home to the vet. You are doing everything properly right now. If your bird is looking fluffed, fatigues, or just out of sorts not acting like his normal self I would not wait and take him. Bird can hide illness very well. Is that his only symptoms.:) :gcc:

lly00n

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Hi! If he has been eating a lot more hydrating foods it can cause the poop to be watery. But if you are unsure take home to the vet. You are doing everything properly right now. If your bird is looking fluffed, fatigues, or just out of sorts not acting like his normal self I would not wait and take him. Bird can hide illness very well. Is that his only symptoms.:) :gcc:
He is eating some hydrating foods but I don’t think that’s the main issue. He’s drinking a lot of water I think. Maybe it’s because he’s losing a lot through his poop. Other than that he acts perfectly normal and healthy and the vets never found anything wrong with him.

Theobirb

Walking the driveway
He is eating some hydrating foods but I don’t think that’s the main issue. He’s drinking a lot of water I think. Maybe it’s because he’s losing a lot through his poop. Other than that he acts perfectly normal and healthy and the vets never found anything wrong with him.
I agree!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I can't comment on the droppings if the vet sees nothing wrong (had my boys in just today and vet said one might just have more watery poop than the other, since gram stain was fine), but have you tried a spray bottle, if submerging his bum is stressful? One of mine loves to be misted (but prefers warm water). Messing with those genes sure creates a lot of problems for the poor fellows. Polyuria is tough because there can be so many different causes, and they aren't all bad. I take photos so I have a reference and timeframe.

Theobirb

Walking the driveway
Im sure that is all it so if the vet said he is ok. You know your bird the best!