• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie perches?

Rivster

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey everybody! Recently I've grown rather worried about the living conditions of my, (or well the family's,) budgie, George. My family had been treating him more like a display bird than an actual pet. I thought this was normal until I did research earlier this week, and now I feel horrible. His cage is... lacking. I'm ordering some toys for him later today, but finding perches seems to be a little more difficult. At the moment he has four perches in his cage, which would be cool if 3/4 of them weren't those small, perfectly cylindrical ones that come with the cage. He only has one 'different' perch, soo... I feel like he probably needs more. (I've heard the smooth ones are bad for the feet.)

Through searching the internet, I've found some recommendations for vendors that are right here on AA! However, er, I've found that they often take custom measurements? Which is a good thing!... But I'm not actually sure what measurements would be good for a budgie in regards to thickness, or what kind of wood they like best?

So if anybody has any vendors they can recommend, specific products or types of wood/shapes and whatnot, and/or measurements that they've found are good with budgies, then I'm all ears! Thanks!

(Ps. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, or if it sounds a bit awkward or anything! I'm very new to all of this-- I only recently really started properly looking after George (who is my first bird), and I've never been on a forum before!)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Budgies can easily grip anything from about 1/2 to 3/4 inch :) You can also use rope perches provided they don't chew them, flagstone perches, and platform perches!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome!

I've gotten sone nice applewood perches from JLCribber here & my budgies like the rope swings from Oliver's Garden. Bonus if you're in the USA, because those two are in Canada, so with the conversion, you'd get a deal!

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe @jmfleish has a nice selection of budgie suitable perches and there affordable to boot. The little willow and small platform would be perfect while not breaking the bank.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Any of the vendors you order from will be able to help you. I have budgie size in dragonwood, apple and birch. I also have flagstone and rope perches. I can put just about anything together but so will any vendor you choose. :)

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Mine especially love bottle brush perches-- textured but kind of soft, and they are a great for chewing the bark! I've noticed manzanita with bark on is very slippery for them (I keep one outside the cage just so they learn how to grip different textures), but sand-blasted manzanita is great. Another of my favorites is "wacky wood"-- any perch made from lima root. I use etsy for most of my perches, and I have a great local store that sells bottle brush.