• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

budgie not recovering?

babybluee

Moving in
hello, my budgie has been having really sticky droppings and diarrhea and recently got diagnosed with coccidia. the vet prescribed medicines for her which we are supposed to give for 10 days before going back to the vet. however its already been 5/6 days and my budgie is not showing any significant improvement - her poop is still very watery, and most of the time she only passes liquid without any solid feces in it.. should i be worried ? or should i just wait patiently and continue giving her the medicines until we see the vet again ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would continue with the medicine as stated by your vet. But call them and give them an update, they may want you to come back in or may have some other ideas.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Coccidia is difficult to get rid of and may take more than one treatment session.

Can coccidiosis be cured?

The coccidia parasite is nearly impossible to completely eradicate, however freezing temperatures, drought, sunlight and ammonia will kill the parasite. Coccidia multiply best in warm, wet, dirty, overcrowded conditions and unfortunately nearly every chicken run contains trace amounts of the parasite.

babybluee

Moving in
I would continue with the medicine as stated by your vet. But call them and give them an update, they may want you to come back in or may have some other ideas.
ooh alright thank you ! i will do so.

babybluee

Moving in
Coccidia is difficult to get rid of and may take more than one treatment session.

Can coccidiosis be cured?

The coccidia parasite is nearly impossible to completely eradicate, however freezing temperatures, drought, sunlight and ammonia will kill the parasite. Coccidia multiply best in warm, wet, dirty, overcrowded conditions and unfortunately nearly every chicken run contains trace amounts of the parasite.

the vet did mention going on a second cycle of medicine to completely eliminate all the bacteria .. which might explain why she isnt 100% recovered yet as there are still some left i think?