• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgie natural branches! help.

tiki07

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Andreea
A9AC23C4-8E82-4F42-BA40-C857F986F65B.jpeg
Hello everybody.
Today I went outside and got some branches from trees nearby. I didn't think much about it so I did not really take a pic of the trees to identify them.
I removed the branches bark, then washed them with vinegar and hand soap just in case.
Then, because my mom wouldn't let me bake them (as it said online) I put them on the stove and let them get a lil' burnt, so the bacteria would die.
They're pretty hard and I think they'll fit in my budgie's cage. Do you think that's alright/safe?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the one thing you need to know is what kind of wood it is. Its very hard to tell without seeing the leaves and how they grow.

Bark can be left on, and you don't have to cook them. Cleaning with vinegar and water and then letting them dry in the sun is fine unless it's very sappy. The baking is to dry out the wood so tree sap isn't an issue.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are species of tree whose wood, bark and/or sap is toxic to parrots. You must be absolutely certain what wood any perches or toys are made out of.

Unfortunately you will have to discard these branches because you cannot identify the tree they came from. Think of it as a practice run :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I like to use Japanese or Sugar Maple to make perches, but if you decide to use maple, make sure it is not a Red Maple (Acer rubrum) because it can harbor a fungus in its bark. Other than that, most maples are fine, and if you're not sure, remove all of the bark before giving it to your bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@tka brought up a good point. Some BARK is toxic while the wood isn't, so depending on the tree, you WOULD want to remove the bark first. But without knowing the wood type, it is impossible to say for sure.

Reactions: tka