• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie mourning

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Long story short one of or birds, Ducky Mango passed due to cancer. It's been a week now and her buddy is still very mopy. He eats and drinks and will chirp if I instigate it. But I leave the cage open for a few hours. a day and he doesn't really fly or play anymore. He seems really sad.

I'm debating getting another bird, because he's still really young. He was a HUGE cuddle bug, friendly bird until we got a second one. He's still friendly but nothing like he was at first when he has another bird.

I hate to see him sad, but we're building a house and sleep training a child. I don't know if I could tame another bird easily at the moment.

Are there any specific signs or things I should look out for as far as him being too depressed? Should I get him a friend? I'm not sure what normal mourning time is for him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They do much better when they’re not alone so if you want another friend fir him then go for it, just remember to quarantine and be ready to house them in separate cages if they don’t get along.

My little budgie lost his friend and was much quieter and less active for about a month or so then he went back to singing and playing as much as he did when his friend was still with us. He was meant to go live with a small flock of budgies but then covid lockdowns and travel restrictions changed the plans.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There isn't a set time for mourning. It's made even more difficult to judge by mood because it's so similar to just loneliness. It's down to you to judge when, follow your gut.
It's not all bad though. In the wild a lost mate can be replaced in less than a week.
Personally I'd look for a male of similar age. A M-M relationship can be just as close and rewarding as M-F without the urge to breed getting in the way. A preening buddy without the complications.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Aw, sorry for your loss. Frost, the bird in my avatar picture, was mopey for months when he lost his buddy. Hard to know. I finally got a new bird, Jewel, who will be done with quarantine in a few days. Frost eventually perked up some but has not returned to how he was when he wasn’t alone. I know it isn’t always easy to know when to add a bird.

katrenia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all so much! We've been spending extra time with him and bribing him with millet for now. I'll give us all some time before we get a new friend for him. We'll miss our spunky girl. Thanks again.

Attachments