• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie moulting. Help.

Batool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manal
Good Evening,
I have two budgies... And I have a question how many times do budgies moult in a year? Or do they moult throughout the year? One of my budgies again has pin feathers.... This is the 3rd time my budgie is moulting this year. They are healthy and active but I am a little scared.. Is it normal for them to moult back to back?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Molting feathers can be several times a year or not. Nothing to be concerned about. When i had two budgies the female was first to molt then the male who was a heavy molter.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It shows just how well you're taking care of them. When a diet is low on protein budgies naturally go longer between moults to save their reserves. Boost the protein and they moult immediately.

Batool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manal
It shows just how well you're taking care of them. When a diet is low on protein budgies naturally go longer between moults to save their reserves. Boost the protein and they moult immediately.
Ohh... I never thought of that... So it's not a thing of concern if they are moulting a lot?
I heard that if they have bald patches or spots then it is a cause of concern... Is this correct?

Batool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manal
Molting feathers can be several times a year or not. Nothing to be concerned about. When i had two budgies the female was first to molt then the male who was a heavy molter.
Thank you for replying.. It really helped. ☺

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I heard that if they have bald patches or spots then it is a cause of concern... Is this correct?
They can look a little rough during a moult but you shouldn't see any bare skin without moving the feathers, or after a very wet bath.

Batool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manal
They can look a little rough during a moult but you shouldn't see any bare skin without moving the feathers, or after a very wet bath.
[/QUOTE
Okay, I don't see any bare skin Alhumdulillah...they just look a bit scruffy.
Thank you so much for your help.☺

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My birds molt a lot- apparently the healthier their diets are the more often their bodies can shed worn out crappy feathers and support the growth of new ones.

I would only ever be concerned if they drop feathers and do not grow new ones to replace the lost ones ;)

Batool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manal
My birds molt a lot- apparently the healthier their diets are the more often their bodies can shed worn out crappy feathers and support the growth of new ones.

I would only ever be concerned if they drop feathers and do not grow new ones to replace the lost ones ;)
Thank you so much.. This makes me feel so relieved.❤