• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Budgie making strange noises

Twerterus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I uploaded a video here of the issue:

We have already taken her to the vet several times, and have tried antibiotics on her to no avail. The issue seems occur more at night, and has been getting worse over the last month or so. She had a similar episode last year which passed spontaneously but I am worried that she won't make it this time. Please note that there are NO avian vets available in our area.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Are you sure that there are none? I'm sorry, but only an avian or exotics vet can really help her.
What antibiotics have you tried and who gave you them if you don't have an avian vet????

If you tell us what general area you're in, we could help you find someone...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did the vet do any swabs (fecal or oral cultures) for culture and sensitivity or did they just prescribe the antibiotic without any additional testing? If you give us your approximate location maybe someone can recommend a vet. You can also do a search here:
Association of Avian Veterinarians

I haven't had a Budgie in a long time so I might be wrong but the sounds she was making sound like normal Budgie sounds. What sounds are you hearing?
What other behaviors is she demonstrating that don't seem normal: tail bobbing, panting, swollen vent area, lethargy, decreased appetite, etc??

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I haven't had a Budgie in a long time so I might be wrong but the sounds she was making sound like normal Budgie sounds. What sounds are you hearing?
What other behaviors is she demonstrating that don't seem normal: tail bobbing, panting, swollen vent area, lethargy, decreased appetite, etc??
I also just heard a budgie who is making budgie sounds, and didn't see any body language that looked scary. What specifically are you seeing/hearing that is your concern?

Twerterus

These are definitely NOT normal sounds for our budgie. This is her breathing or better wheezing. These noises can occur for an hour or so with some periods better then others. She has lost weight. She also makes "clicking" noises whilst breathing when not making these other noises. Her breathing does not look normal with heaving motions of the chest and tail bobbing. I suspect that this is some sort of allergy or asthma especially as she has not responded to antibiotics. She has taken doxycycline for a week with no improvement. I am in Malta and I am afraid there is no avian vet here and the local vets do not seem to be experts in birds. No swabs or cultures were taken. The poop looks normal.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you contact this vet?
Avian and Exotic Vet Malta - Home | Facebook

The facebook page shows that he takes care of birds.

May have a bacterial or fungal infection and may need a different antibiotic and/or an anti-fungal. Culture would help with diagnosis and determining the best medication.
Sorry that your Budgie is ill. Perhaps contact Dr. Sultana.
Here's a list of vets although I don't know if they treat birds.

Forgot to add the link to the list. Put that in a post below.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any other symptoms like head bobbing or vomiting?

Twerterus

She has head bobbing and it seems like she has a stridor. No additional symptoms besides those mentioned above

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
if you value your budgie's life you will take her to a vet,