• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie making new sounds.

Aramzzzz

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My budgie makes soft chirps and the they are suddenly followed by loud squaking? Then he repeats it about 3 times?? Hes four months (about). I just started training today and we made lots of progress. What do his sounds mean??
Are they aggressive? Now he not as willing to train... did i do something?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's new...go slow & keep it short. They seem to do anything for millet/
Go slow & offer it & slowly decrease the distance til he;s close to your hand then keep doing it & then put it in your hand & he might hop on...

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
I agree with the above. :) As for the sounds, It seems to be perfectly normal budgie chatter. If he is making loud sounds (aggressive squawking or screeching) towards you, like for example, if you stick your finger in front of him, you would be irritating him and he is telling you to 'back off.' If its towards you, stop the behavior you are causing, to make him screech at you. If not, its normal chatter from a budgie. :D

Aramzzzz

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I don't think the sounds were directed at me. I wasn't doing a training/taming session, i was on the couch watching tv (about 5 ft away from his cage). Out of no where he started making those sounds... He has made the sounds before when we used to have a mirror in his cage and hed talk to himself.... (We removed the mirror because he got aggressive over it and it's bell.. never making that mistake again) After he made those sounds, i waited about 30 minutes to do a session again to make sure he was indeed calm, however he didn't want to train like before. Is this behavior after he made those sounds saying "Im done today?" Or "back off". Lastly, I do indeed have millet, however, he is not very into it. My budgie doesn't go for it, infact he pushes it away.... what can i treat him too instead? @BlueAbyss @camelotshadow

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I only had one english budgie & she trained in under a week with millet she was on my hand & laying in my arms...She was so sweet & she loved millet.

Gosh you will have to find what he likes then. Usually they love millet.

He still might be scared to taste the millet or is afraid of you giving it to him.

Put some in his dish & stay away so he can get a taste & maybe he will like it so much that he will overcome his fear eventually.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is he getting enough to eat?