• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie leg swollen!! What to do??

GiPuch

Moving in
My budgie's leg has been swollen from last 2 months. I got her checked by a vet. He gave me two medicines and told me to mix it in her water alternately everyday. The name of the medicines are : (i) Birds Need and (ii) Calcicare( Food supplement of calcium and vitamins for poultry)
But it's been a month after her checkup...but her inflammation is going on increasing. Please say me what can I do further.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I agree with @sunnysmom. Clearly there's no improvement after a month so it needs sorting properly soon.
Whereabouts in the world are you? Maybe one our other members could recommend a good avian vet or find one for you.
Do you have any photos of this? Just so we can see what you're dealing with.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I don't think your budgie looks well...Vet appointment ASAP. His environment needs to be upgraded and conducive to health. He definitely needs to have a new cage, proper toys, perches etc. I am very concerned about your bird.:no:....Please remove the cuttlebone from the dirty cage floor.

GiPuch

Moving in
His leg is bleeding now!!! Plz tell me what can I do?????

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You were given some good suggestions. What are you feeding your bird?

1. Clean up the birds environment
2. Provide safe toys
3. Find another vet
4. Feed fresh veggies and greens. Cuttle fish do not provide enough calcium.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
His leg is bleeding now!!! Plz tell me what can I do?????
Corn starch or plain flour applied with gentle pressure will stop bleeding. How is your bird doing? Were you able to find a vet?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Did the bleeding stop? Make sure everything is really clean so it doesn’t get infected. I hope he will be okay!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

GiPuch

Moving in
Her bleeding has stopped....I have cleaned the cage...I also met another vet.He gave me some medicines...I fed her the medicines....The vet told me to feed her the medicines for five days.
Medicines are : (i) MELOXICAM ORAL SUSPENSION I.P. 1.5mg/ml
(ii) CEPHALEXIN ORAL SUSPENSION IP

My budgies eat seeds mostly..I tried giving some fruits and veggies but they don't eat. They eat cuttlebone,tulsi leaves. The vitamins and calcium (i) Birds Need and (ii) Calcicare( Food supplement of calcium and vitamins for poultry) are mixed in their water as directed by vet.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
How is your bird doing now?...Please get this bird a new cage. He doesn't even have a proper perch to rest that swollen leg. You must upgrade the living environment for your budgie. Can you imagine how much better he will feel with a clean home, natural wood perches, and a nice soft rope perch...wonderful. A bathing opportunity will help your budgie's feathers and give him a lift of spirits. There is so much information on this forum for your to research. We will also help you!