• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie laying eggs outside nesting box

cracked!

Meeting neighbors
I've got a female budgie that's about 2 years old. Recently, she's been sitting inside her nesting box quite often and mating with the male. Just earlier, there was an egg at the bottom of the cage. This happened twice before but she did manage to hatch 4 chicks last year when she laid the eggs inside the nesting box. I tried putting in bedding to make it more suitable but she doesn't seem to like it and piles it up in a corner. Her diet is pretty balanced however she is a bit skinny compared to the male.
I don't know what causes her to lay the eggs outside and have them fall down and break so I would appreciate some help.
Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Being skinny/underweight, laying outside the nest box and removing bedding are all signs of a poor breeder. Maybe give her a year and focus on getting her weight up before allowing any more chicks. Feeding offspring could push her over the edge - extremely risky and dangerous.
Consult with your vet and have her checked out to rule out underlying health conditions.

cracked!

Meeting neighbors
I checked in with the vet. She said that the budgie isn't skinny but is stressed as she is not fully hand tamed. They also suggested that I remove the bedding and put it in after the eggs are laid because the bedding might make it uncomfortable for her to lay eggs in there. I've moved the cage to a quieter area in the house so hopefully the female can feel safer. Thanks for the advice!