• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie keeps scratching its beak on things ?

Sheba

Meeting neighbors
Its 00:30 here, and know it is usually a normal behaviour but he has been doing it for 15 mins nonstop now . He opens his beak first (without streching his neck) , then scratches his beak again on a perch , repeats . And yes , not his head , his beak .

I checked to see if he had something stuck on his throat but it seems fine . My second I guess was " maybe molting dried him out a bit ? Or the air in my room is a bit dry ? " so I put a glass of steaming water next to his cage , covered both the glass and his cage so he would have some steam . He calmed down a bit , but it can just be that he is too sleepy right now .

He didnt eat that recent so I am guessing he isnt cleanning his beak by scratching it on perches or something , and it usually doesnt take this long,... what is he doing then ?? I am quite confused .

He has also been itching a bit more, usually his head , but my guess for that was he is probably molting ; even though I didnt see any feathers around it is molting season after all .

What are you guys' opinion on this ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Beak rubbing can be for maintenance, because something is stuck in their beak or nasal cavities, or to "claim" an item. I'm sure there are other reasons, too.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Didn't realize birds claim areas by rubbing. And here I thought a few of mine were simply very diligent groomers. :D

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I reckon you are right thinking he is irritated around his beak for some reason. Look closely to make sure it isn't mites. I'd be putting some bark and rough sticks in for him to trim and rub his beak on (grab some bird-safe wood from the ground or a local tree....fruit woods, eucalypts, pine, etc). Can spray with tea tree or wash it, or just stick it straight in an oven set to the lowest setting to kill any parasites. Give it to him for a good beaky device.
Make sure he has cuttlebone and a spray bath would help if it's detritus or moult related.
The steam would help if it's a pin feather coming through right next to his beak that isn't yet big enough to see.
All the best for your boy! If you work out wassup, let us know!