• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie keeps holding onto millet

Limon

Meeting neighbors
Limon has formed a new habit when training and that is holding onto the piece of millet whenever I reward her. I've tried cutting the millet and making it shorter, but the little menace still finds some way to grab on; she has a really firm grip for such a small bird :wideyed:. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I guide her to unlearn this habit? She really likes rolled oats and I was using that as a treat when training for a short while. But that's high in fat compared to millet and that wouldn't be great for her long term.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Spearmint does this too, so I don't use millet much now- but I find holding it in my fingers (one individual 'ball') so they can only get a bite of the seed sometimes works.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like you have to hold much less so there’s not enough for your bird to actually grab.

Limon

Meeting neighbors
Spearmint does this too, so I don't use millet much now- but I find holding it in my fingers (one individual 'ball') so they can only get a bite of the seed sometimes works.
I'll give the 'ball' method a try. Thanks for your advice!

Limon

Meeting neighbors
Sounds like you have to hold much less so there’s not enough for your bird to actually grab.
I've tried that too but then she'll step up onto my finger searching for more millet.

Limon

Meeting neighbors
(Update) I tried the 'ball' method and it was a success! Also, holding the millet vertically helped a ton because she was less likely to perch up onto my finger and grab on to the treat that way. Thank you again for the brilliant idea!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Sorry, Spearmint, I couldn't help updating your art to be more scientifically accurate...

cute.png