• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie keeps flying away outside if the cage

Jingle

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Silver
Hey there! Got 3 young budgies , all are approximately 3-4 months . One is excellent at training outside of the cage : like step up as well as flying to me trick. The other 2 however … is a different case One is quite good at stepping up inside her cage but the moment she gets outside of her cage …. She goes flying all over the room, banging on walls, doors , etc . as well as not willing to stepping up… and as the last one , he is still kind of afraid of the hand.
Is there anything I could do to improve these ? As I am afraid of them hurting themselves by constantly banging themselves on the wall , at the same time I also dont want to keep them locked up in their cage forever.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
When I first got my budgies, they were about as young and learning how to fly, they crashed into walls, they just needed practice. Have you tried recall training?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Let them out in a smaller room till they aren’t so panicked or erratic.
The larger the room the faster they can fly and the more damage they can do if they hit a wall. The smaller room allows them to fly but not to get to great speeds.

Jingle

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Silver
When I first got my budgies, they were about as young and learning how to fly, they crashed into walls, they just needed practice. Have you tried recall training?
Yes, i have tried recall training . They are quite good at doing it inside their cage .. not so much outside though.