• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Budgie keeps bobbing head, wings puffed out, won't fly and keeps closing eyes (sad update #5)

BudgiePurp

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello.

I got a budgie from a breeder yesterday (he's a year old) who was bright, alert etc. Brought him home and no problems. Today I put a half inch dish of water in for him to bathe in and he jumped in right away. A while later I went back into my room to get him out for some free time and noticed he was a bit puffed up looking so told him to step up onto my finger and looked at him. He had a tiny bit of seed at his mouth but nothing noticeable. I put him on my bed to see how he was and he ran around with his wings slightly out, bobbing his head like he's trying to be sick and wouldn't fly. I decided to put him in a smaller carrier than his cage and brought him into the living room. He's struggling to balance on the perch or my finger, keeps closing his eyes and just wants to face into the corner of the carrier. I live along the road from an avian vet but they've shut now for the night and the emergency vet in the city don't deal with birds as they don't feel confident with them.

What could it be that is wrong with him and what else can I do for him? I'm really worried he won't make it through the night and it's all my fault for giving him the water. I will phone the vet first thing if he makes it though the night which I really hope he does. He's such a sweetie

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry your new little friend doesn’t seem to be doing well. I’m sure it’s not because he took a bath, but do you have anything else that can be toxic in your home? Air fresheners, candles, aerosols, etc?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The first set of issues sounds like it could be hormonal/behavioral, but loss of balance and being lethargic points to something else going on too.

BudgiePurp

Checking out the neighborhood
I’m sorry your new little friend doesn’t seem to be doing well. I’m sure it’s not because he took a bath, but do you have anything else that can be toxic in your home? Air fresheners, candles, aerosols, etc?
I was worried he could have inhaled some water.

It is possible my mum's used air freshener when she's not supposed to of as unfortunately she doesn't take it 100% seriously how dangerous they are for birds. She always shuts the door when she uses them as she thinks that makes them non toxic. All my other birds are fine but obviously that doesn't mean it's not possible

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Oh I’m so sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm so very sorry for your loss :( :sadhug2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss.

You said, your ¨other birds¨. Did you keep this new bird quarantined away? Just incase they were ill or sick when you brought them home.

You could place him in a ziploc bag overnight in the fridge and take him to the vet tomorrow for a necropsy if you want to delve further and try to figure out what could have happened. I´m sorry, I don´t mean to be grim, but it´s worth saying now incase this is something you want to do, before you bury him.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so very sorry for your loss.
:sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
I do think a necropsy in this situation is probably a very good idea for the health and safety of your other birds.

For your mum and her aerosol cans/fragrances... remind her of the canary in the coal mines- birds seriously need the freshest of fresh air to survive.
Some birds do cope a little better with some air contaminants than others but that does not ever make it safe or ok to use toxic things around birds.

With a little research or even just posting of a question or two here on AA you are quite likely to come up with some really safe alternatives to most of the dangerous chemicals most households seem to have. There are some really lovely safe alternatives to store bought air fresheners that are honestly very simple and cheap to make.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road