• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie is throwing up

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:Sorry you're going thru this. He may be sick...first poop on his vent & now this. Just keep up quarantine. Likely nothing you did & he might have been sick when you got him. Hoping for the best.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If he was sick I would have thought the vet would've caught it, it's possible yeast bloomed from the stress though...

I just went in to check on him after leaving him be for a couple of hours, he doesn't look like he's thrown up again because his feathers are dry (but they're crusty, especially on the top of his head from him flicking the vomit)
I offered him some millet but he didn't want it, which isn't completely unusual because he doesn't always accept treats from me, but I hung it up in the cage for him. I'd rather him eat treats than nothing.
I don't think he's drunk anything either. I may syringe him some pedialyte tonight if I don't see him drink it

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it doesn't stress him moisten a cotton ball in warm water and see if you can remove the vomit from his feathers.
Can you moisten some pellets in warm water and offer those to him?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If it doesn't stress him moisten a cotton ball in warm water and see if you can remove the vomit from his feathers.
Can you moisten some pellets in warm water and offer those to him?
I can try the next time I'm in there. I think my presence is stressing him out a bit. He hasn't even seen pellets before, so I'm not sure if he'll accept those

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You're doing good. Don't stress, Raiju will pick up on it and stress out more. Cover the back and side of his cage to make him feel more secure. Place the heat mat under half his cage if you have one. Put the pedialite mix in his normal drinker and change it back to water once you notice it's gone down a bit.
For food just offer his seed mix and peg up a little millet close to where he prefers perching.
Don't stare at him, he's already stressed so just take little sideways glances.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
keep him warm, hydrated if at all possible. a heating pad set on low under his half of his cage. sent another Email to your avian vet marked URGENT in all CAPS might get him to respond.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I went in to check on Raiju for a brief moment, and he already looks a lot better. It looks like he's cleaned himself up. He was on his seagrass mat that I have in there for him, but he was chewing on it so I think he’s feeling at least a little better. I think he ate some of the millet too
3125DA40-8D18-4342-895C-F07EFF6AE03C.jpeg

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm a little worried because he's never been on the seagrass mat before, I hope he wasn't laying on it because he plans to die there... I also feel like that's just my anxiety talking though, lol

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Do you have a camera you can set up and monitor from the other room?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’ve been sitting with him for a bit as I always do before going to bed, he’s eating his millet right now. I have high hopes he’ll make it until Monday

Hes back to his active self at the moment. His cheeks are still a little crusty because I imagine he can’t reach there, but I’m sure it’ll come off in the water

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
When should I put back plain water? I’m not sure how much(it any at all) he’s drank, could I leave it over night until morning?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
When should I put back plain water? I’m not sure how much(it any at all) he’s drank, could I leave it over night until morning?
As long as it's clean it won't do any harm to be honest. Leave it until you clean his drinker.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

He’s seemingly feeling all better now. He was just hopping around from perch to perch and getting hyper like he normally does when I set next to him.

I actually wonder if him throwing up was my fault... he usually has soft symphony music on in his room but I started playing YouTube videos, he was chirping and squawking a bit, I assumed he was just having fun but that’s when he started throwing up. Must’ve stressed him out super bad :/
I’m taking him to the vet either way, but now I definitely won’t be playing anything with people talking in it

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad he seems to be ok now!

I know it can be scary when birds are sick. I had Sydney being sick like that and all still and ill looking, I really thought he was going to die. Naturally I scrambled to get dressed and scoop him up and go to the vet, byt the time we got there and got seen , he was looking much better, he got some meds but was fine the day after and I never did get a concrete answer on what happened.
I remember I was given Primperan to give him, a medicine I know my Ex used for nausea and vomiting problems. It is metoclopramide hydrochloride (1mg ml) - I gave him a drop, so 0.05ml.

Definitely keep an eye on him, hopefully it is all over now! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that he is feeling OK now!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
So glad he’s feeling better :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope you two have weathered the storm. Hope a vet visit does not stress he out and cause a relapse. If anything I would check for yeast growth in crop.