• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie is throwing up

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’ve called everywhere in town, no emergency clinic can see parakeets and the vet is closed today and doesn’t open until Monday
Raiju is throwing up. He looks so uncomfortable. The vomit is foamy and down his face and chest. He was squeaking randomly for about 20 minutes before he started throwing up. He really doesn’t look good

33E5B819-D208-429D-B834-1AFEE7664780.jpeg
Is there anything I can do??
@Ripshod I know you’re good with budgies

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
He’s stopped throwing up but he’s sitting perched with his eyes closed like he’s uncomfortable

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Never mind he’s vomiting again and squeaking. I have no idea what happened prior, he was fine all morning

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Keep him comfy and warm, maybe a yeast issue? Hows his poo?
@Lady Jane
@cassiesdad
@JLcribber
His poop looks even healthier than Phoenix’s.

I gave him some unflavored pedialyte in his water bowl and turned up the heat in the room. He looks so uncomfortable :(
image.jpg

I literally saw no signs of him having any issues before today

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It’s getting really bad, he just threw up a huge string of bubbly slime. Should I give him some ACV? I have left over baby bird formula I had for Phoenix can I give him some of that? I don’t want to lose him :( I’ve been calling everywhere within a 5 hour radius and I can’t find any emergency clinic that will take parakeets

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
ACV in his water may help but after you know whats going on. Are there no emergency vet clinics you can drive to? Could he have swallowed something too large or a fiber/bead from a toy? You are doing right with fluids and warmth. Could be many reasons, infections, fungal, obstruction, toxins. Some breaders treat vomiting with a few drops of pepto bismol after a discussion with your vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that he is not feeling well. Make sure that he is getting some rest and keep trying different vets.
You can do a search here:

A little bit of pedialyte is good.
What did he eat today? If you feed him formula he might wind up vomiting that, too.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
ACV in his water may help but after you know whats going on. Are there no emergency vet clinics you can drive to? Could he have swallowed something too large or a fiber/bead from a toy? You are doing right with fluids and warmth. Could be many reasons, infections, funval, obstruction, toxins. Some breaders treat vomiting with a few drops of pepto bismol after a discussion with your vet.
I’ve called and have been calling everywhere no one will see parakeets. I’ve emailed my usual avian vet, I hope he responds

The only thing I can think of is he chews on his paper toy a lot, could that have caused an impact? I’ve never seen him swallow any but I suppose it’s possible

I have pepto but I don’t feel comfortable giving that to him unless a vet says it’s okay

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Sorry that he is not feeling well. Make sure that he is getting some rest and keep trying different vets.
You can do a search here:

A little bit of pedialyte is good.
What did he eat today? If you feed him formula he might wind up vomiting that, too.
He’s only been eating Zupreem’s smart selects seed mix, I have only had him for two weeks so I haven’t given him any new diets
He also had some millet this morning as a treat

It’s been 10 minutes since he vomited but he’s just standing there super stiff. He still seems very uncomfortable
In the middle of one of his vomiting episodes he tried to eat some seeds, so at least he’s still feeling hungry I suppose

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used ginger tea for vomiting and nausea. I would steep a few pieces of fresh ginger in hot water for a short amount of time, remove the ginger, let the water cool and then put some of that water in bird's water dish. Vet suggested this. Don't know if that is OK for him, though. Didn't do this with a budgie.

I hope he will be OK.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
What temperature should I keep the room? I always kept it at 70 degrees before, would 75 be enough to keep him warm or should I go even more? His feathers are wet from vomit

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It’s been awhile since he’s thrown up, he just randomly ruffles his feathers and stands there (probably because his feathers are wet) could I offer him some millet? Or should I just leave him alone?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I used the vet finder thing, everywhere within a 250 mile radius is closed right now, no emergency clinics showed on the search :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
For a sick budgie my vet put them in a hospital cage with heating pads and thermometer that was at 90 degrees. Can you make up a small hospital cage?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
For a sick budgie my vet put them in a hospital cage with heating pads and thermometer that was at 90 degrees. Can you make up a small hospital cage?
I have a travel cage, I don’t want to make him anymore uncomfortable than he already is by moving him though. I can turn the heat up in the room to be 90, I did that for Phoenix when he was a chick

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I’m sorry he’s feeling unwell! I hope your avian vet responds soon. :sadhug2:

Keep him warm and comfortable, along with getting any fluids you can in him. Pedialyte is great.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’ve been holding up spoonfuls of pedialyte trying to get him to drink, he still doesn’t trust me yet, but every time he hops over to his seed dish, grabs a seed, then spits it out like he’s pretending to eat. He even went and sat at the toy he plays with a lot for a bit before going back to his perch

he’s preening now, I hope he’s feeling okay

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe he just ate something that didn't agree with him but still a good idea to get him checked. Hope that the vomiting has stopped and he will be OK!