• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie is sick, and I can't get her to a vet

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Pharmacy grocery store

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sprite seems to be doing a little better today. She is still puffed up, but I have only seen her sleep with her beak tucked into her wing twice. She hasn't thrown up again either. Twice it looked like she had to, but then nothing happened.
I also managed to get an appointment at a different, closer vet clinic. The appointment is also earlier in the day. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go in with her. But they will let Marshmallow go in with her, which is good. They are inseparable, so it will be less stressful for her if he is there.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Alright, so this is basically what the vet said. Sprite has one of two possible things. I can't remember what they're called, but one causes the liver to enlarge, and the other is a yeast infection that causes the stomach to enlarge. Both cause very similar symptoms.
So, since we're not sure which of the two she actually has, she gave Sprite a shot of antibiotics to treat the enlarged liver, and she's sending a sample of her poop to a lab to test for the yeast infection. We'll get the results from that by next week. If the test comes back positive, we're going to switch over to a different treatment. If it's negative, we're going to keep going with the antibiotics.
In the meantime, because Sprite is unable to absorb nutrients from her food, the vet gave me a powder (form Harrisons) to sprinkle on her vegetables, which will be easier for her to digest, and will give her some extra calories.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the antibiotic is helping. She seems more lively today, and she even took a bath this morning!
That's wonderful news! I hope she continues feeling better.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got the fecal test back today. She came back negative for the yeast, which I expected based on her reaction to the antibiotic. So, starting Monday, I'm going to have to give her antibiotics twice a day for 35 days. I'm kind of nervous, as I've never had to grab her before. But she trusts me, so I think we'll be okay.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
In theory, anything that has protein has the ability to cause an allergic reaction. I don't know what that looks like in a bird.
I bought a package of seeds for Baylee once and she began some sort of strange molting I was like weird mmm I decided to not give her that and the strange molt stopped… so I knew it was the seeds that gave her an allergic reaction.