• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie is sick, and I can't get her to a vet

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been trying for several days now, to get my budgie to a vet, but none of the avian vets within a 2 hours from here can see her. She is puffed up and sleeping with her head tucked into her wing a lot. Today she has also started throwing up (but it's not wet. Just pure seeds, which is weird), and I also noticed seeds in her poop. She is still pretty active, playing, grooming, chirping, flying, etc. She also eats and drinks normally.
I've put up a heat lamp by the cage, because I read that can help. The warmth really seems to perk her up, and she becomes a lot more active.
What else can I do to help her? I'm going to keep trying to get her to a vet, but what should I do in the meantime?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is this Sprite? Is she gorging on the millet still? If she's regurgitating some it would be no surprise.
I don't like the lamps. It's hard for the budgies to judge the heat to know when to move away (causing burns and damaging their eyes). Try and find another way to keep her warm and calm.
Keep trying for a vet, she's going through it all at the moment. It's not fair and she needs help.
Plenty of easy to eat wet food will help her stay hydrated.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this Sprite? Is she gorging on the millet still? If she's regurgitating some it would be no surprise.
I don't like the lamps. It's hard for the budgies to judge the heat to know when to move away (causing burns and damaging their eyes). Try and find another way to keep her warm and calm.
Keep trying for a vet, she's going through it all at the moment. It's not fair and she needs help.
Plenty of easy to eat wet food will help her stay hydrated.
Yes, this is Sprite.
She's not gorging on millet. I've been limiting her seeds, especially today, as I don't want her throwing up again. She's been eating mostly pellets today, and I gave her some carrot tops because she loves that. I figured it would giver her some water too, because of the wet leaves. She is drinking normally though.
I have the heat lamp pretty far from the cage. Just close enough to give some warmth, but not nearly close enough to burn her.
I'm still trying to get her to a vet. I have called 20 clinics at this point, but none of them will take her. Either they won't take any new patients because of covid, their avian vet isn't there, or they're booked up. I made an appointment at one clinic for Wednesday, but I would much rather get her somewhere sooner.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would too
I'm still trying, but the places around here have become really useless since covid started. I tried to get a foster bunny to the vet recently too, but I couldn't get him in either.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just wanted to ask, is it normal for a sick bird to act sick one minute, and then completely fine the next? Because Sprite was just really energetic, banging her food bowls (her favorite game), climbing and hanging upside-down, giving me kisses, flying around, etc. Her behavior is just really confusing me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just wanted to ask, is it normal for a sick bird to act sick one minute, and then completely fine the next? Because Sprite was just really energetic, banging her food bowls (her favorite game), climbing and hanging upside-down, giving me kisses, flying around, etc. Her behavior is just really confusing me.
It can be, yes. As prey animals they want to hide illness, plus little bits of hydration, warmth, calories, etc, can give their body a "second" wind.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
It can be, yes. As prey animals they want to hide illness, plus little bits of hydration, warmth, calories, etc, can give their body a "second" wind.
It's not really like she's hiding it though. At least, it doesn't look like that to me. I have chickens, and they hide their sicknesses very well too, but I can always tell when something is not quite right. Sprite acts completely normal. It's really strange.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We can only go off the information provided :hug4: You are worried enough to make a 911 thread and call 20 vets today. To me that means you feel something is wrong. I have always listened to that voice in me and never been disappointed with myself for doing so.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I have a question. I was watching her just now, and she was doing really well. She was active and happy. I decided to put their seed mix back in the cage for a bit, so they could eat some before bed. She ate the seeds, then immediately seemed to get worse again. Now I'm thinking, would it be possible that she is allergic to one of the seeds? She did start eating the hemp seeds very recently (she never ate them before). Could she be allergic to them?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It could be a bad batch of seeds too. Are sure they hemp? Because sometimes marijuana seeds are somwtimes mixed in as hemp seeds, just saying....

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
We can only go off the information provided :hug4: You are worried enough to make a 911 thread and call 20 vets today. To me that means you feel something is wrong. I have always listened to that voice in me and never been disappointed with myself for doing so.
Yes, I know something is wrong. I'm definitely not denying that. Her behavior just seems really odd to me is all.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be a bad batch of seeds too
Do you think I should make a new mix of just millet, rolled oats, and oat groats (these are all things they've eaten for ages and I know are okay), just to see if that helps?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In theory, anything that has protein has the ability to cause an allergic reaction. I don't know what that looks like in a bird.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
In theory, anything that has protein has the ability to cause an allergic reaction. I don't know what that looks like in a bird.
Okay, I'll try making a mix without any hemp in it and see if that helps.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Pedilyte 50/50 with water. So 2oz water to 2 ia premade Pedilyte. You may have syringe it in drop by drop.