• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie help

Teaky

Moving in
Please help

I have two budgies. The first one I’ve had for a year and the second one I’ve had for two and a half months. The first one trusts me and likes to be around me and the second one doesn’t. The budgies bite each other and chase each other around constantly. They bite each other’s feet, and a lot of the time my first budgie seems uncomfortable about the new budgie. I’ve been keeping them in separate cages and supervising them when I let them both out. There in their cages

way more than they usually are now because I don’t have the ability to constantly supervise them. I recently started a new job that requires a lot of my emotional energy and I no longer have the ability to train the second budgie or spend as much time on them as I would like to. Because of this I feel guilty all the time and I don’t think I am being a great pet owner anymore. I think I’m going to have to change the situation because I can’t keep this up. I’m wondering if it would be better to rehome the birds together or to just rehome the second bird (who isn’t bonded with me.) I know this is terrible, but I truly don’t know what to do. Thank you

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have you considered a larger cage? My two got along when they were given a flight cage. They didn't before.

Teaky

Moving in
I bought them a larger cage about two weeks ago and it didn’t help.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What are the genders of the two? Normal for two females to bicker and not get along. Two males can usually tolerate eachother. Its good you recognize that your life is more complicated with them both. Usually i do not suggest re homing but it may be the best solution here. How does your first bird do being the only one? They prefer being in a flock. Since they dont like eachother i would not re home together.

Teaky

Moving in
They are two males. My first bird was very happy and playful before I got the second bird.

Teaky

Moving in
The second bird seems happy a lot of the time, but it seems like the first bird is uncomfortable.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Maybe they need more time and spring is hormone time so behavior can be off for a while.

Teaky

Moving in
How long would you say that hormonal period usually lasts