• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie health

Paulg5886

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Griff
Hi, just inherited a budgie from a deceased uncle. The problem being his tail feather looks like a series of small feathers, twice the length of the budgie. Don't know much about his past diet etc. Any help would most appreciated.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Griff :)

I´m very sorry for your loss of your uncle.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the avenue! I'm very sorry about your uncle.

Could you post some clearer pictures of the birds tail?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very sorry for your loss.

Paulg5886

Real Name
Griff
Best I can get. Can't get close enough as he's a bit timid and unsure of us at the moment.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If I am seeing what I think I am seeing then your bird certainly needs to visit an AV who will hopefully be able to tell you what the heck is happening with that one very unique feather... I am going to tag some other members who hopefully have seen or at least heard of this sort of feather issue or can tag others for you. Have you found an AV in your area? If not the members here might be able help you with finding one.

@PoukieBear @Ripshod @Lady Jane @Budgiebonkers

@Macawnutz- not a macaw but a really weird feather issue and I know you are very knowledgeable with feathers..... sorry lol :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've seen similar but without a diagnosis I can't be sure of the cause and supposition won't help. A vet will though. Don't be tempted to trim it, let the vet see it as it is.

:welave:

Paulg5886

Real Name
Griff
If I am seeing what I think I am seeing then your bird certainly needs to visit an AV who will hopefully be able to tell you what the heck is happening with that one very unique feather... I am going to tag some other members who hopefully have seen or at least heard of this sort of feather issue or can tag others for you. Have you found an AV in your area? If not the members here might be able help you with finding one.

@PoukieBear @Ripshod @Lady Jane @Budgiebonkers

@Macawnutz- not a macaw but a really weird feather issue and I know you are very knowledgeable with feathers..... sorry lol :)
Yes I think a vet is the next port of call. Cheers for the help tho, much appreciated

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes I think a vet is the next port of call. Cheers for the help tho, much appreciated
Please do continue to share your story and journey with us, I’d love to know what the vet has to say about a feather growing like your little fellas tail.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My late GW had a feather that grew very long. It had no shaft and would grow like hair. :)

A vet will tell you if there are any problems with health causing it but if nothing is found it's just unique.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue--- :pinklol3:

Your uncle picked out a very nice cage-- looks stainless steel? And a good size. I know you will take good care of his birdie!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Whoa. The first thing I noticed was the LACK of a tail in the first two pics. I didn't even notice the crazy long tail feather and my eyes just assumed it was a rope toy.

I'm really sorry, but in all my years of budgie love, I have never seen anything like this. As others have already said, an AVIAN vet is necessary. I'll be following along on this thread, so do keep us posted on the diagnosis so we can all learn something new.