• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie head feathers look different

chigen123

Strolling the yard
My about 2 year old budgie Dave has been picking out more feathers recently and the ones on the top of his head look different as well. Is this something to be concerned about, and if so, what can I do to help him? (Attached is a current photo of him)

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does Dave live alone, or do you have another bird?

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Does Dave live alone, or do you have another bird?
We have another one named Felipe (my sister’s) who is temporarily in the same room as Dave. They are in separate cages and now is the first time they’ve seen each other face to face.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks like he may be starting a moult. Does he actually pluck the feathers or do you just see them fall when he's preening?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
From what I know, they just fall when he’s preening.
I think he's just started into a full moult then. He's going to look dishevelled, then he'll look like a pin cushion, then he'll be back to his full Floof again.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I think he's just started into a full moult then. He's going to look dishevelled, then he'll look like a pin cushion, then he'll be back to his full Floof again.
Thank you for clearing this up! I get worried about a lot of things, so I really wanted to make sure. Thank you all very much

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Also, is there anything I can do to help him?
You can keep a bath available to him.
What's he eating? If he's not eating pellets as part of his diet you could offer some white from a boiled egg once a week. Don't bother with any of the over-the-counter supplements, they really don't do that much.

chigen123

Strolling the yard
You can keep a bath available to him.
What's he eating? If he's not eating pellets as part of his diet you could offer some white from a boiled egg once a week. Don't bother with any of the over-the-counter supplements, they really don't do that much.
He has pellets as part of his diet, and I will try the egg white. Thank you!