• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie has to stay in her transport cage for a week

Raisins

Sitting on the front steps
So, today I brought one of my budgerigars to the vet, because there was a scar on her large growth on the abdomen. They prescribed an antibiotic ointment and feverfew extract and gave me a plastic cone-like thing to put around her head. They also told me to keep her in the transport cage for a week and told me to remove the perches in there, but introduce them during feeding time. The problem is that she gets into weird positions in the cage, probably as not to grate her growth on the bars. She doesnt really do this in her usual cage. I've attached a picture of her for reference. She also refused to eat even her favourite vegetable in there. I've put her in the original cage and she's currently eating her seed-lettuce mix, but I can't keep her there when it's time to apply the ointment. My plan now is to put the ointment an hour or so later and put her in the transport cage. How should I go about this?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Raisins

Sitting on the front steps
If it works, then great.
I ended up putting her in the regular cage, because she was trying climb up to the "ceiling" of the transport cage and scrape of the paint on the bars. This problem doesnt occur in the regular cage as it's nickel-plated. So far, I havent seen her trying to pick at the ointment an the wounds are healing well.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Glad all is ok in the big cage. :)