• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Harness

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m so excited to hear how this goes! Good luck! :bounce4:
thanks! We'll wait for next week, my kids are here now and evenings are fuller then. Also I had to move Pichu out of the kitchen, his obsession with going in the cupboards was getting in the way of training and bonding, + he has begun to really eat/destroy any kind of plastic and packaging he can come across... :meh: The kitchen should become less interesting from now on, without his cage and access to the cabinets, he just has to stay with us most of the time ;)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I'm going to admit that I have never heard of a bird harness. As I understand it, it is to allow your bird to be outside? How do you control your bird once in a harness? Seriously just want to know how these work.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
training is the cue. There is a leash that you can hold tight when the bird sits on your finger/shoulder, or give room for some flying, but you also have to train your bird to fly back to you in case something happens.
In our case I could take him with me up to the attic or down in the basement (we have common stairs), out with the garbage, fetch the guinea pigs from the garden or to visit a friend living nearby. Some people take their bird out when walking the dog, or on a mountain trip.
Most birds enjoy being outside, but the harness is not always fun to put on so they have to learn that wearing it means they can go out.. The Avianweb came with plenty of instructions about the different stages of training and how to use the harness. I'm quite impressed!!