• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie had several HARD bonks

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I feel like such an idiot. Raijū was wanting out so badly so I let him out, I shouldn’t have! He bonked into walls crashed to the ground several times before I could catch him. I can’t even count how many times he crashed but it was a ton

I feel terrible, I can’t believe I did that. His cere is split slightly from it all, not enough to bleed but it is red

I don’t know what to do, there’s no avian vets that will see him until MONDAY. He’s definitely in shock right now, he is just standing on the perch looking scared.

I would put him in the hospital cage but I don’t want to risk THAT again. I can’t believe this is happening

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
He’s stopped looking so scared but he won’t take millet from me. It might be because I had tried putting his meds on it so he doesn’t trust it, but I am freaking out
He’s standing on his perch just fine so that’s a good sign at least

I left him alone for now but I’m going to check on him in a couple hours. I feel so terrible it’s all my fault this happened, if he dies from this I really won’t ever be able to forgive myself :(

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I went and checked on him even though it hasn’t even been an hour since his crashes, he’s still doing okay. He’s on his perch still and he was reacting to what I was saying and grinding his beak (as he usually does in response to me talking to him)

Im terrified. I can’t believe it all happened. I’m praying he’ll be okay :(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry...you're really having a bad time with him.

:sadhug2:

Let him relax as you have stressed him with the meds & now he may have injured himself flying into walls.

Keep an eye on him & if you want to try to get him back into the cage then dim the lights in the hope you can get him safely back into the cage.

Can you put something he likes in his cage? How safe will it be if you leave him out over night?

I had a similar problem with Rio when he got away from me while I was trying to get him in the avian hotel so
he could be picked up by JPT. He flew into the curtains, on the counter, fell behind the coffee maker & then over into the next room.
Its hard to get them by the hands so I threw a towel over him & gently scooped him up. Luckily that caught him well & good thing he did not break his neck.

The towel might be the safest thing to cover him if he's on the floor or a flat surface but it will scare him but he'll recover.
Not a huge bath towel. A sort of good sized hand towel. Anyway you do what you feel comfortable with doing.

No idea of his injury or what you should do...you will have to play it by ear.
I'd want to try to get him back in his cage for his safety but you also don't want to chance more injury this late at night.
If he's not bleeding I guess you will have to access it in the morning.

Glad he is beak grinding. Good thing he did not crack his beak.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Sorry I left that part out. I was able to get him back into the cage, but it took a lot of time. He was super stressed but he doesn’t look so stressed anymore, just tired (it’s way past his bed time)

The crack on his cere is pretty small, it wasn’t enough to bleed. Luckily I don’t think he actually was hitting the walls super hard, but he did hit them several times and also crashed to the floor a few times... thinking back on it, it was mostly his body he was hitting against the wall

I usually turn the heater on at night but I won’t tonight since I know cooler air can help head trauma.

I really hope he’ll be okay. I really hate that there’s hardly any emergency vets for avian or exotic pets. The closest one to me is in Seattle and it’s an 8 hour drive, I think that drive alone would kill him :(
222A2ECB-5826-4F19-9953-2EBC1C224A99.jpeg
(this was right after I had gotten him in the cage, the lights are off now except for his night light)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I checked on him again and he’s still acting the same, still perching just fine and isn’t drooping his wings or anything. I think I’ll leave him alone for the night

He isn’t in a hospital cage he’s just in his normal one, but luckily there is a sea grass mat under where he is perched so it should catch him if -god forbid- he falls

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I went and checked on him again and he still on the perch, acting as he normally does when I check on him in the middle of the night. I have high hopes that he’ll be fine :fingerscrossed:

I might not give him the meds tomorrow morning if he’s still stressed, I don’t want to add even more stress especially after the head bonks, but we’ll see

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad he seems to be ok,since your having such a rough time with him trying to medicate him ect(not your fault) maybe you should consider boarding him at the vets office for the duration of his medication course. That way you know he's going to be getting the proper doseage every time and they will know how to properly towel him and medicate him promptly.
I hope I don't sound rude by saying that I just see from your posts that the two of you are struggling a bit and I hate to think of the two of you both being so stressed.
Sending you both lots of hugs :hug8:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm glad he seems to be ok,since your having such a rough time with him trying to medicate him ect(not your fault) maybe you should consider boarding him at the vets office for the duration of his medication course. That way you know he's going to be getting the proper doseage every time and they will know how to properly towel him and medicate him promptly.
I hope I don't sound rude by saying that I just see from your posts that the two of you are struggling a bit and I hate to think of the two of you both being so stressed.
Sending you both lots of hugs :hug8:
I really want to do that but I don’t think they offer that, especially not for that long. There’s also no one there on sundays so I don’t think boarding is an option. I’m going to keep trying different ways, and for now wiping the meds onto his beak seems to work a bit

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's unfortunate that no one is there on Sundays,sorry that its not an option for you to do. Maybe your vet can show you/explain to you an easier way of toweling him.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's fantastic news! Such a relief to hear that.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
That's fantastic news! Such a relief to hear that.
I also just watched him drink water while I was turning on the heater, he was moving around just fine! I think he’s going to be okay :flowgdnc:

Should I bring him to the vet tomorrow just in case? I have an appointment with Phoenix early in the morning but his crop exam is not as urgent as possible head trauma

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Talk to the vet see what he suggests. You can always get Phoenix in another day for the crop test. Would be hard to bring both as there would be little separation. Maybe one in the front seat & one in the back? Crop swab is quick & maybe the vet can just take a quick peek at the cere while you are there?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Talk to the vet see what he suggests. You can always get Phoenix in another day for the crop test. Would be hard to bring both as there would be little separation. Maybe one in the front seat & one in the back? Crop swab is quick & maybe the vet can just take a quick peek at the cere while you are there?
I would bring both but I only have one travel cage. I’ll call the vet tomorrow morning before the appointment and see if he wants to see Raijū

His cere already looks better today, it’s not red anymore it just looks like it was scraped a tiny bit. I can’t even get it to show up on camera since it’s so small. I did not give him his meds this morning since I didn’t want to have another stressful event within 12 hours of his crashing, but I’ll give them tonight. I think I’ll try putting the meds in with carrots, because he loves them

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You could try to make a box with holes in it. Maybe put some holes in a plastic container.

What about that small plastic breeder box cage you bought for Phoenix?

Its a shame if you will be at the vet that you can;t have both seen.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
You could try to make a box with holes in it. Maybe put some holes in a plastic container.

What about that small plastic breeder box cage you bought for Phoenix?

Its a shame if you will be at the vet that you can;t have both seen.
I’ll ask tomorrow what they think. I’m not even sure if they could see both on the same day since they always have to squeeze me in between other appointments (which I highly appreciate, normally people have to wait weeks to get in) so I’m not sure if they’ll have enough people on hand

Honestly though Raijū is doing so well I’m not sure if there’s anything they could or would do for him, he’s back to playing and being his gremlin self (not as much as he was when he was with Phoenix, but it’s more active than he was on Friday and Saturday before the bonks)
His poops still look normal, eyes and everything else look normal, he’s eating and drinking, I think he’s okay. Of course I’ll still watch him like a hawk, I couldn’t not watch him intently even if I didn’t want to, I’m a huge worry wart :roflmao:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Raijū’s doing amazing tonight, he’s started talking again, he stopped once he was separated from Phoenix, he yelled “You so cute!” :heart: He’s also pretty playful tonight

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I asked if they wanted to see Raijū and they asked for a pic of his cere, after seeing it they said it doesn’t look like there’s anything for them to do since he’s acting fine but just to continue monitoring him. Vet wanted to see the cere to see if that part needed treating but it’s already healing up by itself