• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie flight

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
So a long time ago (i was very naive about bird owning at the time so i have some embarrassing moments in the story) i let my budgies out of th cage for the first time. They had one BAD night fright and all their primary flight feathers fell out. Everything was fine and dandy but then we let them out another time. His feathers grew enough where he could fly and i didn’t know. I was not in a very enclosed place and the back door was open (with a screen door closed of course). My male flew to the top of the screen door and would not come down. They aren’t tame so i couldn’t call him down to me. The females feathers were not in yet. He was scared and we couldn’t catch him. We eventually did. Later on we let them out while they were flighted (in an enclosed room this time) and my female was pretty much loving life getting to stretch her wings, she was flying circles around the room. The male tried to follow and he was good height-wise but then, instead of gracefully flying in a circle, he crashed into every corner.. this did not go away. He would crash into a corner and then clumsily flutter straight down onto whatever was on the ground. This did not go away, it happened repeatedly. Why? i have no idea. i have some theories that he may have been clipped as a baby and never learned to fly but i can never be sure. I don’t want to have to clip him for his own safety so i really want to figure this out so that i can start to fix it

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It might be because he was clipped as a baby as you said. You can try putting perches that he can land on around the room. It could be that your room is too small, or it could be that it’s too quiet and scary, so white noise or a radio might help. Also, make sure all windows are covered so he doesn’t crash into them. He should figure out the safe places to land soon, how long has this been going on?

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
@Tiel Feathers it’s been going on his whole life. he can fly just can’t navigate well. i did cover all the windows and i have a giant mirror door on my closet and i covered that too. i’ll try putting some quiet radio and such (they seem to not like too much background noise). i have some play stands and a cage (with a play top) that i’m not using right now so maybe i’ll get them to use that somehow. thanks :)