• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie flew into ceiling fan

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
My birds had a night fright and like an IDIOT I got scared and opened the cage door to calm them down WITH THE FAN STILL ON. my adult budgie flew up and hit the fan and I panicked and shut the fan off and accidentally hit the lights as well, for some reason my IDIOTIC brain thinking he would fly down to me . He of course panicked more, almost came and hit the fan again. This time he fell on my bed and I cradled him, which He NEVER LETS HIMSELF DO. I coudlnt tell if he was really stunned or injured. I held him for a couple minutes and both budgies perched on my hand for about 7 minutes or so, calming down. My adult budgie preened slightly and I tapped his beak gently to see if he would react. He tried to peck at me, like he usually does when annoyed so I felt better that he was responsive.

They didnt want to come off my hand but being that it's late, I put them on the perch. Both budgies were slow getting on. My adult budgie grinded his beak slightly.

Please help me figure out if he's injured or not. I'm only a teen and can't drive yet. It's the middle of the night over here and my parents don't care for my birds as much as I do. I'm scared for him and so mad at myself.

budgie2021

I don't have access to a vet right now at its almost 2 am but it is open tommorow morning. He slow but he's also like that when sleepy. I turned the lights off for him but he scratched his head with his foot twice and lifted both wings at the same time when I got up from sitting to looking at him. He also softly chirped when I was pacing. He chirps softly when I stay up sometimes as if he's telling me to go to bed. I don't see blood, his eyelid looks slightly pinker unless I'm overthinking. I dont know how to stretch out the wings so I can inspect, so I dont know if there is blood there. He turns to his left but not his right, (made me suspect he was injured on the right for a bit) but he did scratch his head with his right foot so maybe not? I'm worried mostly about internal injuries. He yawned and nodded at me when I looked at him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure if we can help you figure out if he’s actually injured. Normally you’ll see some difference or changes in ability, behaviour or sometimes poop. If it’s late and he seems ok then I guess the best you can really do given your circumstances of not driving or having full support at 2am is to make sure they stay warm and get some rest and reassess the situation in the morning when you may be able to get to the vet with your parents if needed.

Having birds means the odd unexpected emergency and surprise. One thing you can do now is to put tape over the ceiling fan switch- live like you don’t have a ceiling fan for the future safety of your birds.

Fingers and toes crossed all is going to be ok.

budgie2021

I’m not sure if we can help you figure out if he’s actually injured. Normally you’ll see some difference or changes in ability, behaviour or sometimes poop. If it’s late and he seems ok then I guess the best you can really do given your circumstances of not driving or having full support at 2am is to make sure they stay warm and get some rest and reassess the situation in the morning when you may be able to get to the vet with your parents if needed.

Having birds means the odd unexpected emergency and surprise. One thing you can do now is to put tape over the ceiling fan switch- live like you don’t have a ceiling fan for the future safety of your birds.

Fingers and toes crossed all is going to be ok.
Thank you so much. Sorry for all the details. I get worried about him easily. I will check on him tommorow morning.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d definitely still be concerned but if there’s not a lot you can do right now then best to wait calmly till you can ask your parents to take you to the vet.
I’m sorry, I wish I could help you more but without the option a vet just now keeping them quiet and warm is the best help I can offer.

Edit: don’t be sorry! Tape that fan switch up so it can’t be used and get a desk fan with the cage around it :)

budgie2021

I’d definitely still be concerned but if there’s not a lot you can do right now then best to wait calmly till you can ask your parents to take you to the vet.
I’m sorry, I wish I could help you more but without the option a vet just now keeping them quiet and warm is the best help I can offer.

Edit: don’t be sorry! Tape that fan switch up so it can’t be used and get a desk fan with the cage around it :)
Yes, I'm definitely still concerned for him, but you advice really helped as well thank you very much, I will try to get him to a vet tomorrow

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all will be well with your budgie. How is he doing now?

budgie2021

@iamwhoiam He screamed at me to get him out of his cage and also bickered with our younger bird like he does every morning. He also flew around my room a little this morning. Poop looks normal. Could he still be internally injured and act this way?

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Just get him to avian vet and let them do a assessment better safe then sorry.