• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie eggs

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Hi everyone. A bit of background information. I have a male and female budgie and they have lived together well over a year and get On very well. However, I found an egg nestled on the floor. Mum is very protective of the egg. Since Saturday she has had another. I had been advised to by a nest box so I did. Dad is feeding mum and they seem to be doing very well. Mum is now incubating the eggs and comes out of the box every now and again then dad feeds her! This obviously wasn’t planned and was a shock but we are willing to give this out best shot. I have a few questions. Can I let them out to fly or does mum have to be on the eggs all the time? Is it normal for her not to be with the eggs every second. Please no hate

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Hi everyone. A bit of background information. I have a male and female budgie and they have lived together well over a year and get On very well. However, I found an egg nestled on the floor. Mum is very protective of the egg. Since Saturday she has had another. I had been advised to by a nest box so I did. Dad is feeding mum and they seem to be doing very well. Mum is now incubating the eggs and comes out of the box every now and again then dad feeds her! This obviously wasn’t planned and was a shock but we are willing to give this out best shot. I have a few questions. Can I let them out to fly or does mum have to be on the eggs all the time? Is it normal for her not to be with the eggs every second. Please no hate

Attachments

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
I’m not sure but I think the mama can fly around. In the wild the mom has to leave the nest to grab more nesting and food.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can I let them out to fly
Yes, they should be given the opportunity to fly. It is important to get off the eggs here and there, as well as fly to keep wings strong.

This bedding is inadequate. You need a few more inches in depth. The eggs should be raised a couple of inches from the wooden floor.

I strongly suggest you deep sive and try to learn as much as you can now before these eggs hatch. Go to the vet or a local breeder and try to find someone willing to teach you how to porpperly hand feed. Research up how to wean birds, what conditions they need, and how to care for your adult birds during the breeding process.

Frankly, I would have said to not put the nest box in, and instead, remove the eggs.