• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie droppings

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
Hello, I recently checked my budgie's droppings and her droppings seem more watery than usual. She has layed eggs before and is trying to nest right now (without a mate) which could probably be the reason. Anyways just wanted to make sure she is OK, are these droppings normal or should to take her to the vet? 20210706_221401.jpg

Jogging around the block
@Ripshod
Has she had more than those droppings? Sometimes my boys do the occasional watery poop but then back to normal

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
Yes, she has had these types of droppings for about two weeks, she spends most of her time in her nest and occasionally comes out to eat.

Jogging around the block
Hm, okay , so not just a one off thing.
Has she been eating more veggies/fruits recently? particularly ones that have high water content?
Sorry I can't really help you, hopefully a more budgie smart member gets here soon

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
Hm, okay , so not just a one off thing.
Has she been eating more veggies/fruits recently? particularly ones that have high water content?
Sorry I can't really help you, hopefully a more budgie smart member gets here soon
She is on a all seed diet since the last time I switched her to pellets (about 2 months ago), she did not eat them. And no worries you are helping me

Jogging around the block
It would be a good idea to try start giving her a variety of foods rather than just seeds, a bird especially when breeding needs lots of vitamins and minerals. Pellets are good if they will eat them along with other foods but since yours wont maybe try giving her some veggies and fruit?
In my opinion a good diet for a budgie is a mix of 1/3 pellets 1/3 seed and 1/3 fruits and veggies but by no means am I an expert

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
It would be a good idea to try start giving her a variety of foods rather than just seeds, a bird especially when breeding needs lots of vitamins and minerals. Pellets are good if they will eat them along with other foods but since yours wont maybe try giving her some veggies and fruit?
In my opinion a good diet for a budgie is a mix of 1/3 pellets 1/3 seed and 1/3 fruits and veggies but by no means am I an expert
Yes, I will try giving her more veggies and reintroduce pellets, thank you :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
One of my tiels always has watery droppings a week or so before laying, so if your bird is going to lay soon, it could be that. If she doesn’t lay and it continues, I would take her to the vet.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I'll tag @Zara and @AussieBird. Have there been any major changes in her environment lately? It could be because of stress. I personally think you should take her to the vet if these types of droppings have been occurring so frequently.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Get rid of the nest and anything else she could see as a nest. Reduce daylight to 11hrs.
Laying is risky enough. Encouraging pointless laying is beyond risky.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she has had these types of droppings for about two weeks, she spends most of her time in her nest and occasionally comes out to eat.
That is why she has these big wet droppings. She´s holding it in and waiting as long as possible.

I second what Ripshod said above, if you´re not trying to breed her, then I would remove the nest. Give the cage a mix up (move perches and toys around) when you take the nest.

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
That is why she has these big wet droppings. She´s holding it in and waiting as long as possible.

I second what Ripshod said above, if you´re not trying to breed her, then I would remove the nest. Give the cage a mix up (move perches and toys around) when you take the nest.
She had a mate but sadly he passed away so that might be why she is nesting. I will remove the nest and add more toys instead, thank you. :)

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
One of my tiels always has watery droppings a week or so before laying, so if your bird is going to lay soon, it could be that. If she doesn’t lay and it continues, I would take her to the vet.
Yes, I'll keep checking her droppings to see if anything changes, thank you :)

Raven123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daphne Rodriguez
Get rid of the nest and anything else she could see as a nest. Reduce daylight to 11hrs.
Laying is risky enough. Encouraging pointless laying is beyond risky.
Yes, I will remove the nest and add more toys, thank you:)