• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie doesn't do anything

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
But again a few days ago my sister was playing her music and he seemed happy about it, so it was either the music or how he was feeling in the moment

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
Uhh little update I guess

I think I'm seeing a minor/major change in his behavior, yesterday he was chirping a lot which I heard means he's happy, and he's starting to take interest in this one toy, its a normal shredding toy and earlier today he was messing around with the paper for a few minutes, nibbling on it and stuff. He doesn't sit on one perch now (maybe because I replaced it) and just goes from the one next to the toy to the one that goes to his food bowl, he also tried some lettuce on his own... kinda a shocker for me since he would only try it when I ate it in front of him but now he goes to it by himself.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some dont like mirrors but in this case it may be entertaining.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was gonna say, you might actually find that all the variety is overwhelming him! It can take them really long in the beginning to get used to a single new toy in their environment, so maybe he was just establishing that they weren't dangerous to him so far.

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
If it's shown by body language, I doubt that's the case since I didn't notice any changes in him when I added in the new toys. Its took only a day or two for him to approach one of the toys and to try to get the millet stuck in it, and he doesn't seem bothered by any of them since he could just sit next to them without a problem, and as I said he's starting to take interest in one of the toys, and bopped a bell a few times. I think playing with the toys myself made him more comfortable with them.

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
So, maybe final update since I definitely see a big change in Cloudy.
He definitely seems a lot more interested in different toys, even if he doesn't play with them all at once. First, he kind of stuck to one shredding toy, then started playing with some others, and now he's biting the dry grass one in the back, and he's usually moving from perch to perch, never sticks to just one (unless he's just chilling or preening, which he likes to do on the highest one now). And even when he hops onto my desk, he doesn't just eat millet now, he's starting to interact with random things he could get close to (he doesn't dare cross the other side since my laptop and hands block the way).

Soup14

Moving in
Real Name
Shorouk
hello! how old is your bird? do you know anything about the owner before you or are you the first? He seems pretty young, your setup is awesome I think he’s just like my budgie though. Last year I lost my male budgie due to a very sad accident of a younger sibling leaving the door open. I bought a second male so my female wont be upset. He is also a year old but doesn’t like toys at all and usually the only one destroying them is sky. I found out the reason is his previous owner was a breeder and he never had any toys or anything to do other than eat and play with the other birds. Birds in environments like this unfortunately don’t automatically play with toys. I noticed he gets very quiet when someone is looking at him lol. He’s not very tamed and will only step up. I’ve had sky since 6 weeks old she steps up, preens my hair when she feels like it and lets me give her kisses but nothing more. I recommend getting a second budgie as I noticed my budgie gets really encouraged when he sees her playing. Also budgies dont get as close to you as bigger birds unless they are handfed they’re less touchy but still very intelligent I think if you have another bird you will still be able to make a bond with him although it might not be as you expect he will most likely never let you touch him anywhere he can’t see such as his back or head. Also yeah I suggest trying to make your room noisy it sounds dumb but birds feel safe in a loud place in the morning and will get more active!

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
Cloudy is definitely younger than a year old, I don't know his exact age though. And I am his first owner.
But like I said, he's more active now and plays with his toys more