• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Died, Worried about Cockatiel

HannahBean

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
My 4yr old budgie fell ill a month ago with what seemed like a respiratory infection. No avian vets in the area could get him in to see him in time. I treated him w/ baytril for a few weeks until he could be seen. Unfortunately two days before his visit he was found with a large bulge near his lower abdomen. I brought them in that day on an emergency visit, they did an ultrasound on him and found multiple cysts large inside his body. He was dying, and I had them put him down. Rip Beanie baby

I had an autopsy done, and the vet found a severe stomach infection and inflammation around the surrounding organs. she assured me that my cockatiel Hannah at home was probably fine and it could’ve just been a genetic thing. Nonetheless I brought her in to be seen. The vet told me that she thinks beanie my budgie beanie had either chlamydia or a mycoplasm. I asked for poo testing was told that mycoplasm might not even show up in the test. My cockatiel Hannah, was having abnormally large poos and seemed more quiet than usual. The vet prescribed Hannah with oral enroflaxcin (baytril) .3ML 2x daily.
I’m unfamiliar with chlamydia or mycoplasm. Would baytril be the go to med for these illnesses? Hannah also weighs only 96 grams, .3ML seems a little high? What do you guys think? I want to trust my vet but I also know that I treated my parakeet with Baytril and he still succumbed to his illness. I’m so worried about my baby Hannah, I just don’t want her going under the bus and I wanna help her in every way I can to prevent her from going through what our Beanie did.
95A1E98C-0F1C-4676-8B30-909E716B72EB.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm sorry you lost your budgie, I haven't had experience with internal cysts...I have read maybe with Trichomonas. Not likely yours had that tho related to chickens and parrots exposed to chickens. But there is much im not familiar with.

I'm not familiar with mycoplasma in parrots ( just no experience with this)

If chlamydia is suspected doxycycline is the antibiotic that should be used. Baytril would not work.

Another possibility with budgies is AGY . But yiu mentioned more respiratory..

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This is an article on baytril. Its a broad spectrum antibiotic chosen fir infections suspected by vet.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Great job in getting veterinarian care and even trying fir answers once passed.

Your vet has seen and made informed recommendations based on your bird. We aren't a replacement for that.

If you have questions, its good to talk them out with veterinarian. Write them down it can help.

Hopefully your cockateil is perfectly healthy.

Sam R

Moving in
I am under a similar situation. I have/had 3 English Budgies. 1 died after all battling chronic conditions (housed together). Necropsy came back with mycoplasma. Vet gave a long acting antibiotic injection and put on Doxy via water while waiting for results of necropsy. Once results returned, he said I could add Baytril, but I have not added it. 1 of the EB is continuing to decline in weight and the other seems to be becoming more stable. I have a 1 year old cockatiel in the same room, cage near each other, limited access over the year, but still have been in the same areas when free flying, that I have been trying to get the vet to respond to my messages in regards to testing my Tiel for the Myco. My limited research indicates a blood test or throat swab can be used to run a Myco test. I am not treating any of them and going to let nature run its course. I am devastated but don't want to prolong the inevitable.