• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie cant fly properly from the beginning

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Hello everybody.. can anyone tell or suggest me that why one of my birds can't fly properly. It's been a year i bought him home, he's one and half year old. I'm observing him from the day one, he can't fly high. He think he flies 3-4 feet level range, not more than that.. even vet can't say the reason, and suggested me to clip his wings and have a try. But I never do that. Can anybody tell me something useful to him.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think sometimes, some birds just aren’t great flyers. I know it occasionally happens in the wild - I have a wren in my backyard who doesn’t seem to do very well. She’s taken up residence in my shed, and watching her fly is nearly like watching a fledgling flop about, except I know she’s been around for at least two years now (she was banded by an ornithologist, so I know it’s the same bird).

Does it seem to impact him at all?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Not sure the reason, but I can’t possibly see how clipping his wings would make him fly better. I’m glad you’re not going to go that route, because I feel like it would ruin any confidence he has.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Sometimes breeders will clip before time and the bird never learns to fly. Is there possible neurological issues?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What's he like otherwise? Does he perch properly? Have you try gentle exercise to build muscle?

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I think sometimes, some birds just aren’t great flyers. I know it occasionally happens in the wild - I have a wren in my backyard who doesn’t seem to do very well. She’s taken up residence in my shed, and watching her fly is nearly like watching a fledgling flop about, except I know she’s been around for at least two years now (she was banded by an ornithologist, so I know it’s the same bird).

Does it seem to impact him at all?
Thankyou for reply,❤

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Sometimes breeders will clip before time and the bird never learns to fly. Is there possible neurological issues?
I don't think he has any neurological issues, he looks bit fatty, very active, he flies very normal to the certain height like in the cage, or 3-4 feet high, even in the cage he doesn't prefer to fry alltime like other birds. When he is out of the cage, he prefers to stay upside of the cage all time, he used to try to fly high like other birds but he couldn't, he falls down..

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
What's he like otherwise? Does he perch properly? Have you try gentle exercise to build muscle?
I have never tried exercise on my own, he perch well and very active.. but he can't take to much of temparature I think.. I'm from India, he was something different last summer, he used to sleep all time, looked very dull.. I came to know that he was doing well even I turn on AC.. so I had maintained room temperature at low all time..

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
often this can be a health issue.
Being fat can also be the reason..but you have to be very careful if you do calorie reduction..it must be very slow and yiu need to weigh daily when doing this. Only allowing a 1% body mass loss a week.
Do you know your birds weight?
Can you share a picture?

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
often this can be a health issue.
Being fat can also be the reason..but you have to be very careful if you do calorie reduction..it must be very slow and yiu need to weigh daily when doing this. Only allowing a 1% body mass loss a week.
Do you know your birds weight?
Can you share a picture?
His weight is 43. No, I'm not doing calorie reduction. Two of my other birds are having more weight than him, but they are perfectly good.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
These pictures definitely indicate an overweight budgie. It will impact his ability to fly and ultimately his life expectancy

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
These pictures definitely indicate an overweight budgie. It will impact his ability to fly and ultimately his life expectancy
Should I do something for him? Any diet or something, which is useful for him.. can anybody suggest me something.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
increased activity and time out of cage. Perches turned into a gym lots of options to hop and do short flights. Gets thrm exploring . You can attach all kinds of stuff to your cages on the outside! I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to suspended perches down to just above their cage. My stuff as example Below
20221029_141749~3.jpg

Getting them eating a lot more veggies .
20230122_082438.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
what is the diet now?
Millet is fatty. They are still going to need some. But increase the variety of seeds they eat.

Realky lots of leafy greens and veggies. My budgies love live their veggies.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
what is the diet now?
Millet is fatty. They are still going to need some. But increase the variety of seeds they eat.

Realky lots of leafy greens and veggies. My budgies love live their veggies.
I use seed mix, but i remove sunflower seeds from seed mix. he eats broccoli, spinach and all kind of Greenleafs.. he dosn't take more vegetables, he eats Greenleafs, seeds, and millet spray slot.