• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie cage mates

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
So I currently have a year old male budgie who I am separating from my two cockatiels (he loves them, and kept getting really sad when they were separated) because I caught him attempting to mate with the female cockatiel. I’m going to attempt to quarantine the new birds. (key word attempt, if he even hears wild birds he frantically tries to get to them, no clue what he’ll do around other budgies) I’ve been looking at the photos of the other birds, and think that 1 of the budgies is a female, while the other two are male, will this cause problems? Will they fight? I’ll send a photo just in case I’m wrong about the gender

Attachments

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
You usually want an even number of budgies or they may not get along in the same cage. The picture isn't very clear. Green budgie on the left definitely male, can't see the other two's ceres very well so I'm not sure. Could you attach a clearer picture? @Ripshod @AussieBird

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Are you getting all three in the photo to be friends with your one?
I see two possibly three males in that picture. Fighting will all depend on the birds, some birds will just not like each other. If they're all male there's a good chance they'll get along, but there is no guarantee. Maybe have an extra cage or two on hand.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Are you getting all three in the photo to be friends with your one?
I see two possibly three males in that picture. Fighting will all depend on the birds, some birds will just not like each other. If they're all male there's a good chance they'll get along, but there is no guarantee. Maybe have an extra cage or two on hand.
Hi, yes I’m getting all three of the budgies in the picture. I do have some spare cages in case something goes wrong

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
All three of those budgies are male. Four males together are very likely to get on as there will be no competing between them for a female. Good idea to have the other cage but I don't feel you'll need it unless four gets cramped.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
All three of those budgies are male. Four males together are very likely to get on as there will be no competing between them for a female. Good idea to have the other cage but I don't feel you'll need it unless four gets cramped.
Hi, I’ve been able to take a photo of the one I believe to be female

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Hi, I’ve been able to take a photo of the one I believe to be female
Yes, I stand corrected. Your best bet is two cages. Let the female choose her 'friend' from the males and split them that way.
Please don't forget to quarantine the new budgies.