• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Budgie Broke Out Cage

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox
Hi, I’m new here. I wanted to ask around and see if anyone has dealt with this as well.
I have a blue budgie named Star that I got on April 5th of this year. Things have been going really well so far, but today I came home and she was sitting in the dining room on the floor. This has never happened and it scared the hell out of me.

I have a Yaheetech 52 inch flight cage, and the doors were closed and latched still. The bars are only .6” so I really doubt she got through them. I think she squeezed through the doors somehow even with the metal rod.

I’d appreciate any and all advice, and if anyone has had and fixed this with their bird.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How large are the gaps between the bottom tray and the bar? How large is the gap in the door? I can't tell for sure but they look larger than the bar spacing.
What is the space between the bars?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It looks like the gap at the cage bottom under the bars icould be her escape point. If the cage is under warranty maybe you could return it for another. Good thing you don’t have a dog or cat!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d measure the gaps myself. Some manufacturers measure from the middle of the bars, others measure the actual gap. You could cover the large gaps people have identified using plexiglass. I did this in the past.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
The bar spacing on that cage looks bigger than normal for a budgie cage. I had another cage before with slightly wider bars and one of my budgies figured out the perfect spot to wiggle through the bars haha.

If u really wanna know, put your budgie back in its cage and watch it for a little bit. I bet it will try to get out again from the same area.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Can you post a picture of top my lovebird out through top where the bars meet the frame I had to zip tie a piece of wood to stop it

definitely watch him he will show you how he gets out

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox
I’d measure the gaps myself. Some manufacturers measure from the middle of the bars, others measure the actual gap. You could cover the large gaps people have identified using plexiglass. I did this in the past.
Thank you! I remembered I had a security camera so I have that set up. I’m going to see if I can record her in the act and I’ll update what happens.

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox
It looks like the gap at the cage bottom under the bars icould be her escape point. If the cage is under warranty maybe you could return it for another. Good thing you don’t have a dog or cat!
I think that’s the issue as well. I’m going to put a towel there for now and see if I can set up a more permanent solution. Thankfully I have no other pets and live alone. I don’t even mind that she’s out, besides her own safety, but I live in an apartment and we have monthly inspections, etc. I don’t want some worker to accidentally let her out the front door :(

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox
The bar spacing on that cage looks bigger than normal for a budgie cage. I had another cage before with slightly wider bars and one of my budgies figured out the perfect spot to wiggle through the bars haha.

If u really wanna know, put your budgie back in its cage and watch it for a little bit. I bet it will try to get out again from the same area.
Yeah, I’ll be watching. I measured half an inch for the normal bars and 0.7” on top of the cage. Don’t know if she could squeeze through that like an octopus o.o

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox
Can you post a picture of top my lovebird out through top where the bars meet the frame I had to zip tie a piece of wood to stop it

definitely watch him he will show you how he gets out
Here’s the top. The bar spacing near the frame are 0.7” wide
IMG_5299.jpeg

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox
IMG_5302.jpeg
Hi, I’m new here. I wanted to ask around and see if anyone has dealt with this as well.
I have a blue budgie named Star that I got on April 5th of this year. Things have been going really well so far, but today I came home and she was sitting in the dining room on the floor. This has never happened and it scared the hell out of me.

I have a Yaheetech 52 inch flight cage, and the doors were closed and latched still. The bars are only .6” so I really doubt she got through them. I think she squeezed through the doors somehow even with the metal rod.

I’d appreciate any and all advice, and if anyone has had and fixed this with their bird.
UPDATE
mystery solved….i guess… any cage reccs? Jeez

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Escape :rofl: well I don’t think there’s anything you can do about that

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox

For now
View attachment 446627
UPDATE
mystery solved….i guess… any cage reccs? Jeez
also I know that’s dangerous, so I have her in a tabletop cage I was given while I grab a new one. I’ll either get one after work from our local pet store or fast ship a new one from online. The pet store mostly has ones for bigger birds, but I’ll at least check

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Prévue Hendrix F040 or F050. Ignore the accent. Autocorrect is adamant I’m currently typing in French. :rolleyes:

The type Mizzely suggested, I’ve used in the past & donated to a parrot rescue. Both had decorative gaps on the sides that needed to be covered in plexiglass, which is expensive. The bar spacing is also wider. For budgies, I’d not recommend them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Prévue Hendrix F040 or F050. Ignore the accent. Autocorrect is adamant I’m currently typing in French. :rolleyes:

The type Mizzely suggested, I’ve used in the past & donated to a parrot rescue. Both had decorative gaps on the sides that needed to be covered in plexiglass, which is expensive. The bar spacing is also wider. For budgies, I’d not recommend them.
Interesting! I just measured and bar spacing is a hair narrower than the horizontal gap, but the gap on mine is exactly 0.5"

MoxEMoons

Moving in
Real Name
Mox

Thank you! I’ve heard that one from a few people, so I think I’ll go for the F040