• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Breeding

asdfg

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I have a normal blue male and a pied white female with purple markings. If they breed what colour will the offspring be?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bump

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

Aves

The color will be-- you shouldn't breed unless you have the time, space, and knowledge.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you have pictures of the two birds? There are a couple of different pied genes in parakeets and they inherit differently.

If both parents are blue or purple, then the offspring will be blue or purple, because blue is a recessive trait. If the pied markings are dominant pied, then some babies might be pied. If recessive pied, none of the babies will be visually pied, but all will carry genes for recessive pied markings.

And as Aves mentioned, don't breed unless you are fully prepared and have the right setup. It is a big responsibility (and vet bills can get quite expensive). Little lives are depending on you to do it properly. :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suppose all breeders started somewhere, but what if the two birds are siblings or both are the same gender?

Lilfluff

Moving in
First go to a vet to make sure they are not siblings, then try and find the morphs of their parents. After that brush up on your pigment square.

asdfg

Checking out the neighborhood
I bought the two from different sides of my state and from different breeders, and have had second opinions from different breeders and pet shops as well. They are already bonded, and are constantly feeding and preening each other, and the male has tried stepping on the female a few times as well. Here they are.

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So they hatch a couple of chicks. Now what? They’ll need to be separated eventually or they’ll start to inbreed. What about next season when they do it again?

The world doesn’t need more farmed budgies. Do the right thing and replace those eggs if there are any with fakes.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I suppose all breeders started somewhere, but what if the two birds are siblings or both are the same gender?
That is just toooo funny... Correct me if I'm wrong [no offense intended, just LOL]... if they're the same gender, you won't get baby birds............:roflmao:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

Here they are.
Cute birds.
I see they are clipped, which is not so good for breeding birds. Better to have fully flighted birds in large cages on a balanced diet of seed, pellets and daily fresh vegetables.

Do you have experience breeding? If not here is an article to have a read of. Be sure to read the introduction and go through all of the questions, to be sure breeding is a good fit. There´s no point breeding birds that you won´t be able to find good homes for, or breeding birds that there are hundreds of in shelters nearby, or breeding without vet access or a mentor to help out.
In the meantime, while you wait for your birds to be fully flighted, converted to a good diet, and reach recommended breeding age, be sure to do plenty of research.

In this time, remove any eggs laid.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
The color will be-- you shouldn't breed unless you have the time, space, and knowledge.
First go to a vet to make sure they are not siblings, then try and find the morphs of their parents. After that brush up on your pigment square.
So they hatch a couple of chicks. Now what? They’ll need to be separated eventually or they’ll start to inbreed. What about next season when they do it again?

The world doesn’t need more farmed budgies. Do the right thing and replace those eggs if there are any with fakes.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Back to your original question, that looks like a normal sky blue bird and a blue recessive pied with violet factor.

Violet factor is semi-dominant which means a single violet gene produces some color change and a second gene produces even more, similar to dark factor and grey factor. However, it is hard to see this change on a green bird or on a dark blue (mauve) budgie. Violet factor is most visible on cobalt and sky blue parakeets.

I am not terribly good at color identification, so I don't know if your pied bird has one or two violet factors. I think it is either sky blue with double violet factors or cobalt with one or two violet factors. Someone else might be able to advise you better.

Regardless, a pairing between these two birds would likely result in a mix of blue colored budgies - some sky blue and some darker, due to either dark factor or violet factor.

The pied markings look like recessive pied to me, so you would probably end up with normal looking birds that carry pied genes (split to pied). However, the normal sky blue bird could be split to pied already, in which case you might have some pied offspring.

It is also possible for a bird to have more than one kind of pied gene - unless you know what the parents and grandparents looked like, it can be hard to rule out anything completely.

Be sure to keep good records. This can help you identify the full genetic potential of your breeding pairs.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Matto, my post cautions against inbreeding. We surely would not want to moderate that out.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Matto, my post cautions against inbreeding. We surely would not want to moderate that out.
It has nothing to do with their question.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pat H, many people sex budgies wrong, as has since been demonstrated above.

Pistachio & Marzipan were sold to me as male & female. The lone picture of them on Kijiji showed Pistachio's cere very clearly, so I knew I was going to get either 1 male + 1 female or 2 males (what I got). There seems to be a lot of confusion.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
tl;dr
How old is the Pied budgie? Are we even sure it's female? Males will mount males so that's not an indicator.
I don't think we need to worry about worst case here - it ain't gonna happen. How can anyone think they can breed birds when they can't even identify genders?!
@asdfg you need to get yourself a breeder to teach you, this is something you can't really learn on the net.

Last edited: