• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Budgie breathing fast and puffed up

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
Hello I have a 4 year old budgie it’s a he and he started breathing very quickly and a little sound comes out from his nostrils. I went to the vet 5 times with him to receive 3 types of antibiotics and none really helped, I’m wondering what should I do, and by the way he only breathes fast when I’m away from his cage, when I get nearby he starts to relax? Is he just nervous? Because I’m seeing tailbobbing tooo.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What was the vet's diagnosis?
Could you post a video of what he is doing?

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
What was the vet's diagnosis?
Could you post a video of what he is doing?
At first the vet told me he had a respiratory infection and gave me antibiotics, then after those antibiotics they gave me a probiotic for him to give him the necessary bacteria that the probiotic killed, and then he started sneezing 38 times a day or so and the doctor gave me a antibiotic to put in his water. He stopped sneezing but he is still tailbobbing and I wondered if the infection came back or not, I asked the docs and they told me to go pick up a medicine that get ride of a lot of unhealthy bacteria, including the infection. After that, he seemed to get better but he started breathing worse when I wasn’t around. Right as I looked at him he stopped. I got a little bit of footage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does look like he is breathing a bit fast. Did you recontact the vet about this? Did the vet do any testing such as taking a culture?

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
Does look like he is breathing a bit fast. Did you recontact the vet about this? Did the vet do any testing such as taking a culture?
The vet already knows he’s breathing fast, and what does “taking a culture” mean?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From Testing and Diagnostics for Sick Pet Birds
Culture and sensitivity. Bacteria and fungi (including yeast) play an important role in many diseases in birds. Samples from the digestive tract, reproductive tract, respiratory system, eyes, nose, ears, skin, wounds, and any other body tissues are collected using special sterile cotton swabs.

The swabs are then sent to a laboratory. The laboratory takes the sample and attempts to grow, isolate, and specifically identify any disease-causing organisms (bacteria or fungi). The next step is to test these disease-causing agents (pathogens) and determine the antibiotics (in the case of bacteria) or anti-fungal drugs (in the case of fungi, such as yeast) that will work against the organism and also determine those that will have no affect (those to which the organisms are resistant to). This test takes several days, but its results allow your veterinarian to treat your pet bird with the correct antibiotic.

Vet would only take samples from areas of concern.

Reactions: tka

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
From Testing and Diagnostics for Sick Pet Birds
Culture and sensitivity. Bacteria and fungi (including yeast) play an important role in many diseases in birds. Samples from the digestive tract, reproductive tract, respiratory system, eyes, nose, ears, skin, wounds, and any other body tissues are collected using special sterile cotton swabs.

The swabs are then sent to a laboratory. The laboratory takes the sample and attempts to grow, isolate, and specifically identify any disease-causing organisms (bacteria or fungi). The next step is to test these disease-causing agents (pathogens) and determine the antibiotics (in the case of bacteria) or anti-fungal drugs (in the case of fungi, such as yeast) that will work against the organism and also determine those that will have no affect (those to which the organisms are resistant to). This test takes several days, but its results allow your veterinarian to treat your pet bird with the correct antibiotic.

Vet would only take samples from areas of concern.
Yes yes, yes they did! They gave me a avi culture antibiotic a long time ago, and another antibiotic because he had some bacteria after taking an antibiotic later. And he completed both courses.

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
they swabbed his mouth and nostrils

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes they need to re-culture after the course of medication has been completed.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Reculture just means doing the same procedure again. So, for example, taking samples from your bird's mouth and nostrils again, sending them to a lab to be cultured, and seeing whether the bacteria has gone or whether there are different bacteria present. It will help your vet decide whether the treatment has worked, whether the bird needs to continue with the same antibiotics or whether to use a different antibiotic to kill different bacteria.

sp0kd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vlad
Reculture just means doing the same procedure again. So, for example, taking samples from your bird's mouth and nostrils again, sending them to a lab to be cultured, and seeing whether the bacteria has gone or whether there are different bacteria present. It will help your vet decide whether the treatment has worked, whether the bird needs to continue with the same antibiotics or whether to use a different antibiotic to kill different bacteria.
Tysm!