• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Boo-boo

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
A few nights ago, I saw Little Lemon on the bottom of the cage flapping around like a fish but then flew up on the perch. Stared at me like he does not want to be bother.

Tonight, he did the same thing. Caught him no the bottom of the cage, flipping around. Flew up on the perch. I tried to inspect him because, you know, grabbing these birds is soooo easy. I did not notice anything at first. He was back in the cage and then he lifted his leg to lick it or scratch, whatever, but then as he did I noticed he fell. So, I spent the next twenty minutes chasing him around the apartment to catch him so i can just check for any obvious injuries. And after such an ordeal of catching him, I did notice he has injuries. I took some pictures, while he was biting my skin off for dear freedom, a bleeding leg, or claw, whatever them called.

When I say bleeding, I do not mean he is leaking blood. It is just bloody there but that is it. Not sure if wet or dry, or from what. Otherwise, he is fine and still been flying around doing ninja things. Just those two moments tonight I noticed I needed to try and inspect.

Wanted to get some thoughts from fellow budgie peoples.

Thanks.

Attachments

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
A few nights ago, I saw Little Lemon on the bottom of the cage flapping around like a fish but then flew up on the perch. Stared at me like he does not want to be bother.

Tonight, he did the same thing. Caught him no the bottom of the cage, flipping around. Flew up on the perch. I tried to inspect him because, you know, grabbing these birds is soooo easy. I did not notice anything at first. He was back in the cage and then he lifted his leg to lick it or scratch, whatever, but then as he did I noticed he fell. So, I spent the next twenty minutes chasing him around the apartment to catch him so i can just check for any obvious injuries. And after such an ordeal of catching him, I did notice he has injuries. I took some pictures, while he was biting my skin off for dear freedom, a bleeding leg, or claw, whatever them called.

When I say bleeding, I do not mean he is leaking blood. It is just bloody there but that is it. Not sure if wet or dry, or from what. Otherwise, he is fine and still been flying around doing ninja things. Just those two moments tonight I noticed I needed to try and inspect.

Wanted to get some thoughts from fellow budgie peoples.

Thanks.
Did He hit any walls or anything while you were chasing him?
Does he have any other injuries?
Did you attempt to clean it up?
this information will be helpful. Thank you!

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
While I was chasing him to catch him to see if I could figure why he was falling in the cage in the first place, yea, he skimmed a couple of walls in different rooms. But he did not fly into anything beforehand that I know of. Nor did he go slamming into things hard while I was chasing him.

No he seems to have no other injuries. It must be hurting him as he is not standing on both feet while perching, but it has not hindered him crawling in and out of the cage like the ninja he is. I wonder if that is how he injured himself prior.

No, I did not attempt to clean it. I assume with water and a cloth, but I did not try because if it is dried it would just dust off on its own (to my thinking). How could I try to wipe it without him flapping around in my hand anyway? I am afraid to hold him and crush him with these hands. Them not gentle hands. Well, they are unless something is in my grasps and biting me to escape. They do not really take kindly to wanting me to hold them.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
While I was chasing him to catch him to see if I could figure why he was falling in the cage in the first place, yea, he skimmed a couple of walls in different rooms. But he did not fly into anything beforehand that I know of. Nor did he go slamming into things hard while I was chasing him.

No he seems to have no other injuries. It must be hurting him as he is not standing on both feet while perching, but it has not hindered him crawling in and out of the cage like the ninja he is. I wonder if that is how he injured himself prior.

No, I did not attempt to clean it. I assume with water and a cloth, but I did not try because if it is dried it would just dust off on its own (to my thinking). How could I try to wipe it without him flapping around in my hand anyway? I am afraid to hold him and crush him with these hands. Them not gentle hands. Well, they are unless something is in my grasps and biting me to escape. They do not really take kindly to wanting me to hold them.
Sometimes budgies perch on one foot to show they are relaxed. Also when he skimmed on the walls, he could’ve scratched his skin and feathers.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
What I just did, since it being night time and they are more calm and easier to just grab like a Giant to a Fraggle, I took him into the bathroom. While he was biting the atoms off my flesh, I used a spray bottle to get his leg wet and I used a napkin to dab on where I see blood. Nothing was coming off after two attempts. Must be dried on.
I sent him back into the cage.
Am pretty sure he hates me more now than ever. But, I tried.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
Sometimes budgies perch on one foot to show they are relaxed. Also when he skimmed on the walls, he could’ve scratched his skin and feathers.
That is assuming then he did not have the scratches before hand and fell in the cage a couple of times today for a different reasons then?

I guess will have to see if the bird vet will take him in this week I guess. Scratches or not, he fell in the cage a couple of times and flapped around on the bottom like a fish out of water. Which is why at first I thought he got tangled on some piece of thread.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What kind of cage do you have? Is there a chance the leg could have gotten stuck in between the grate and the cage itself?
Not the best pics but there looks to be some bruising to that leg to me.

When is your vet appointment?

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
Yaheetech 63-Inch Wrought Iron Rolling Large Bird Cage with Stand
The grate is covered in paper.
Vet is closed today. I am guessing though they will make me wait a few weeks for their next free appointment, but will find out.
I know not the best pictures. Trying to fiddle with a digital mobile device for its camera function in one hand while the bird is biting and trying to escape in the other, was a challenge.