• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie and Quaker problems

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Ever since one of my budgies passed, my other budgie has been trying to hang out with my Quaker. I don’t let them out of the cage together because I don’t want Lemonade (my budgie) getting hurt, but they sit with each other through the cage bars (Lemonade on the outside, Milo on the inside) all day. I wouldn‘t mind this to much but today Milo tried nipping Lemonade and gave him a pretty nasty bite on the foot through the cage bars when I was in the restroom. I can’t let them sit together like this if Milo can reach through the bars when I’m not looking, but Lemonade seems depressed when they aren’t together… I’m not in a position to get another budgie right now and Lemonade and Milo are VERY close and usually good with each other. Anybody have suggestions on what to do? I’m not really sure if anything can be done but it’s worth asking for suggestions. I’m considering putting their cages close but not close enough that Milo could reach through.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
hi!
Any parrot but especially a quaker will bite the foot of any burd that lands on their cage. I have acrylic tops on top of all my cages for this reason. If you are in USA you can find home depot or lowes pretty cheap. They had a pre cut size that fit my cage .

My quakers are tolerant of my budgies and can all be out together under supervision. One of my quakers is good friends wjth one of my budgies.

All are flighted so budgies can move away easy if needed..you might try sbd hsve them out together. But at first a hand towel handy thst yiu csn toss st them if you see aggression. I also have a large sheet of paper that I am ready to slide between. Birds if tgey look like might charge each other.

Quakers are pretty tolerant. If they hsve had lots of time already to get to know each other. But there is always risk.

But one of my friends has lots of budgies sbd a wuajer thst also hang out together with success.

But again all burds are different and individuals.

Moving cages close together is ok as long as csbtveach lean through sbd reach each other. Even if great while out together, quakers defend their cages

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Can you move the cage just far enough away so that Milo can't reach Lemonade?

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
My Quaker likes my conure. It is not reciprocal :eek:. My Quaker also abhors anything or anyone near his cage.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Yes at least mine are. They are very sweet out of the cage.

I took it slow with introduction. And all of mine are flighted so can move away