• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie agressive to new budgie and myself

toithoit

Moving in
i've had my male budgie (andrew) since December last year when he was about 3 months old so about 6 months now. he's very tame and bonded to me.

Last month, I got another male budgie (adam). He's now tame and has learnt to step up. I tried to introduce both of them last week. I let them observe each other for about 8hours in my room and they seemed pretty interested in each other (chirping to each other) so I let them out of their cages. But as soon as i opened the cage, andrew kept lunging at and flying at adam, even bitting me whenever my hand went near him, and it was a pretty hard bite, which is unlike his usual self...This has happened multiple times now. Adam seems fine with andrew though.

for context they are in separate cages and rooms now, andrew is very sweet when I play with him separately. he just becomes aggressive to both of us as soon as he sees adam.

any advice on how I can better introduce the both of them? is andrew jealous, and what should i do when he starts becoming aggressive, should i get both of them back in their cage? he's had interactions with other budgies before i got him though.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It seems your first budgie is frustrated and stressed with the new one. Or they simply just don't like each other. Maybe you can keep their cages next to eachother, and have separate playtimes in separate rooms to avoid jealousy and agression until you feel they can be introduced again.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Six of mine are in pairs. The last two are solo. All of them are male. Yours may or may not get on in time. For now, I’d allow separate time out only.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Hi @swedishcow, don't give up! I had a similar experience several months ago when introducing my two budgies. Here's the thread I created to ask for help with my two budgie boys Will our first budgie eventually accept our new budgie?.

My advice is to go slow, and bump up the level of interaction and amount of time together as slowly and gradually as you can. Give it lots of time - it took my Tofu and Kimchee many weeks. Now they happily live in the same cage and are the best of buds!