• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budget Bird

Firjohnson

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cj
Hello! We are fairly new to Avian Avenue and for one of our first threads we'd like to bring up and discuss Budget Bird Enrichment and DIY toys and projects that don't hurt your wallet.
Our Eclectus is a huge fan of handmade cardboard toys as well as loud "crinkly" toys. We find ourselves using a lot of newsprint. Our conure loves bell toys so we have a collection saved up for toy creations.
We would love to get some ideas or links to some fun and enriching toys for our flock. Thank you very much !

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
I love having kabobs around. They're a decent initial investment but last a long time and have so much versatility. My most budget toy I've made was cutting up an egg carton, stuffing it full of scraps from other toys and other random bits, and threading it onto a kabob. Inside, there is crinkle paper, broken up Sola chips, finger traps, and vine rings, but really they can contain just about anything. To make it even more budget friendly, you can always replace the kabob with a repurposed chain or wire from another toy, paper rope or leather lace, or even just place the cartons straight in the cage.

Attachments

Firjohnson

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cj
Thank you ! The pictures are great! We have a kabob for our eccy so we will try some fun things with that!

logicullos

Meeting neighbors
Well I know this may sound cheap but.... my conure LOVES these small balls of crumpled paper. She'd leave any toy for crumpled paper any size but she prefers small ones as she can carry them around lol. This may not be the type of answer you want but, try it.. it may work. :bliss: :excited2:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)

Bookwyrm

Planet Pleasures has some great cheap toys.
My budgie also loves crumpled up bits of paper. They keep him entertained for hours. I mostly use them as foot toys, but they'd likely also be fairly easy to add onto other toys.
Straws are great. You can do a lot with them. Rattan balls, finger traps, crinkle paper, sola, sticks with bark on them... I also started breaking up a cuttle bone, sticking a hole in the pieces, and using that on toys.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
I also started breaking up a cuttle bone, sticking a hole in the pieces, and using that on toys.
Ooh, I love that idea!! Poppy loves crunching cuttlebone, but usually won't just go for the whole piece unless I'm holding it for her. Do you just use a kitchen knife to cut it up?

Bookwyrm

Ooh, I love that idea!! Poppy loves crunching cuttlebone, but usually won't just go for the whole piece unless I'm holding it for her. Do you just use a kitchen knife to cut it up?
I used my hands. It just snaps. I think it was pretty easy to control how large they were, too.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Toilet paper rolls! And i crumple paper and stuff into their food bowls, too.